• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I eligible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xoxoPixiexoxo

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Va

I started working at the age of 15, which is the same year I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Since that time, I have graduated from high school as well as business college with a degree in medical assisting. For the past nine years I have had jobs off and on in many different industries...I held my longest job when I was going to counseling and taking anti-depressents. Unfortunately that was many years ago, and I have since not been able to afford the drugs and help that I need. Even when I was seeing someone at a reduced rate I got sued for not paying them...As hard as I have tried, I cannot seem to hold a job for more than a year or so, and I hate to blame my mental illness, but that seems to be the deciding factor in every job I have. I find myself getting severly depressed within 2 months of a new job and I end up quitting without notice. I cannot stand to be around crowds or people in general really...I find that I can only fake a happy persona for so long. Many people have told me that I need to file for disability, but I have heard that only like 12% of mentally ill folks actually get it. I feel like it would be a waste of time to try, even though I have proof that I am mentally ill. I have hit rock bottom many times and holding a job seems nearly impossible. Should I just keep trying, give up, or try to file for disability?

bjl1105

Assuming you are not working at a substantial rate right now, what do you have to lose by filing for disability? An hour of your time on the phone? 1 800 772 1213, pick up the phone and make an appointment.

Brighid

well, Im no lawyer, but I can tell you this.

Do you have a condition that keeps you from working for at least 12 months expected to last at least 12 months or result in death?

Most things that qualify you for disability, are serious, and in the governments eyes keep you from "substancial gainful activity" which is over a certain amount per month. Now, if you have held several jobs since your onset, you will have ALOT of trouble with getting benefits. Expecially if they lasted over one month at a time. I was one of those people that tried to work through my ilness, though I tended to quit without notice, or attempt suicide due to stress. (im bi-polar among other things)

You should apply. You also need documentation on your illness. Without it, you have no case. I suggest seeking your local crisis center, which will not charge you to be seen with no income. They will also help you with getting the medication you need. Also, make sure you are seen at least every two months. These things are important in your case.

Also, dont give up!! the disability process is very long, and many times you will be turned down. If you are, you need to appeal. I suggest hiring a lawyer. There are many that will charge you nothing unless you win. Disability lawyers under law, cannot charge more than 25 percent of your back pay benefits.

xoxoPixiexoxo said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Va

I started working at the age of 15, which is the same year I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Since that time, I have graduated from high school as well as business college with a degree in medical assisting. For the past nine years I have had jobs off and on in many different industries...I held my longest job when I was going to counseling and taking anti-depressents. Unfortunately that was many years ago, and I have since not been able to afford the drugs and help that I need. Even when I was seeing someone at a reduced rate I got sued for not paying them...As hard as I have tried, I cannot seem to hold a job for more than a year or so, and I hate to blame my mental illness, but that seems to be the deciding factor in every job I have. I find myself getting severly depressed within 2 months of a new job and I end up quitting without notice. I cannot stand to be around crowds or people in general really...I find that I can only fake a happy persona for so long. Many people have told me that I need to file for disability, but I have heard that only like 12% of mentally ill folks actually get it. I feel like it would be a waste of time to try, even though I have proof that I am mentally ill. I have hit rock bottom many times and holding a job seems nearly impossible. Should I just keep trying, give up, or try to file for disability?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">