• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSA Revokes Benefit Payment ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suncawy

What is the name of your state? California

My wife's father passed away 2 weeks ago and he was being paid Social Security benefits. My wife's brother, who lived near the father, was called by the SSA that the father would receive his regular benefit payment for January. When the SSA found out that he passed away, they had informed the brother that the benefit payment needed be returned and that he should contact the bank to have it returned. Why would the benefit payment need to be returned if he was still alive in January ? and what happens next, does my wife and brother receive a death benefit payment or continue receiving his SS benefit payments ? The father was divorced and single at the time of his death. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

bjl1105

suncawy said:
What is the name of your state? California

My wife's father passed away 2 weeks ago and he was being paid Social Security benefits. My wife's brother, who lived near the father, was called by the SSA that the father would receive his regular benefit payment for January. When the SSA found out that he passed away, they had informed the brother that the benefit payment needed be returned and that he should contact the bank to have it returned. Why would the benefit payment need to be returned if he was still alive in January ? and what happens next, does my wife and brother receive a death benefit payment or continue receiving his SS benefit payments ? The father was divorced and single at the time of his death. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
The payment needs to be returned because it was made payable to a deceased person. The payment received in feb was actually january's benefit. assuming he lived all of january, the family can file for the underpayment. the only survivors who could collect on his account would be a surviving widow (over age 60) or any children under age 18 (or disabled).

firewalk05

If you check the s.s. website under divorced or ex-spouse, you will find that the ex-spouse of a deceased s.s. beneficiary CAN receive the deceased ex-spouse's Social Security, provided he/she was married to the deceased person for at least 10 yrs and he/she is at least 60 yrs old...this is true even if the deceased ex-spouse had remarried.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">