• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband Assaulted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marriedat19

What is the name of your state? Georgia

In August, me and my husband were on our way to my parents' house when we got stopped at a stop sign. My husband had his window rolled down, and a black truck pulls up quickly behind us, the passenger jumps out of the truck, runs up to the driver side window, and punches my husband in the face. We have no clue who either guys were. He ran back to the truck and they sped off, but I wasn't able to get a license plate number because my husband was bleeding profusely. Well, he broke his nose and was in severe pain....his nose still hurts months after the surgery. Recently, my husband saw a black truck (matching the other one perfectly, tag in the back glass and everything) pass him, and he quickly memorized the tag number. I even gave the police a description of the guys, but they have done nothing to help us. Should we even bother taking the tag number to the local police, or should be go straight to the district attorney? And also, if I give the police the tag number, can they look it up and pull up a picture of the owner? Because I could still recognize him. Thanks so much for helping! This has bothered us for quite some time.

teflon_jones

Have you reported to the police that you saw the same truck again, and now have the license plate #? If so, what was their response?

Marriedat19

Not yet, because the last time we talked to the police, they pretty much said that they had more important things to do, and they weren't even going to try to find the guys. But we are going Wednesday to give the tag number to them. Chris was told that he can get about 700,000 from the guys (a lawyer told him this) due to punative damages, pain and suffering, etc, but is it too late for the guys to get charged with this? I wasn't the only witness....I think there were 4 other witnesses on the police report.

teflon_jones

Marriedat19 said:
Not yet, because the last time we talked to the police, they pretty much said that they had more important things to do, and they weren't even going to try to find the guys. But we are going Wednesday to give the tag number to them. Chris was told that he can get about 700,000 from the guys (a lawyer told him this) due to punative damages, pain and suffering, etc, but is it too late for the guys to get charged with this? I wasn't the only witness....I think there were 4 other witnesses on the police report.
Good idea to go in person.

:rolleyes: $700K? Not even close. You're looking at getting your medical bills paid, plus possibly several thousand for P&S. It's not too late to sue them for this. You're not going to win a huge amount of money. I could see you possibly getting in the low tens of thousands if you're lucky, but not more.

Marriedat19

Well then maybe the lawyer was a bit ignorant lol. But no, he won't get his medical bills paid because he is in the military, so he had nothing to pay for in the first place. But hey, even a thousand dollars would be decent (nothing compared to the pain he still goes through every day, but what person wouldn't mind a thousand dollars?)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">