• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pot manuf. and distrib. Whats gonna happen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eric-j

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oregon
Portland

My roommate and I were just raided 2 days ago. We are accused of manufacturing marijuana and distribution. We are 1000ft from a school. (we never thought of this...we never see any kids. Its a pre-school.) We both have honorable discharges from the military. We both have clean records. (I did have a DUI about 10yrs ago) We are both in our 30's. They got 230 plants and about 2 lbs of buds. They found a scale. They found $30,000.00. They know I sent small amounts of pot to another state. They took everthing of value we had. Even our vehicles. I am really frightened. Can someone tell me what kind of punishment I am likely to recieve? Is this the end of my life? Thank you for any info you can give me.

LawGirl10

eric-j said:
Portland

My roommate and I were just raided 2 days ago. We are accused of manufacturing marijuana and distribution. We are 1000ft from a school. (we never thought of this...we never see any kids. Its a pre-school.) We both have honorable discharges from the military. We both have clean records. (I did have a DUI about 10yrs ago) We are both in our 30's. They got 230 plants and about 2 lbs of buds. They found a scale. They found $30,000.00. They know I sent small amounts of pot to another state. They took everthing of value we had. Even our vehicles. I am really frightened. Can someone tell me what kind of punishment I am likely to recieve? Is this the end of my life? Thank you for any info you can give me.
Can't tell you because I don't work in that state, but get a lawyer and fast.

S

seniorjudge

Q: I am really frightened.

A: You're not scared to be a dope dealer but you are scared of the legal system? Please explain.

Q: Can someone tell me what kind of punishment I am likely to recieve?

A: Post the statute numbers you were charged with.

Q: Is this the end of my life?

A: I have ESPN, not ESP.

eric-j

Why should I have been scared to be a pot dealer? It was only sold to friends. There were no guns involved. No other drugs. Just stoners. Growing was addicting. It was nerve racking at first, but you start to convince yourself that you are smart enough not to get caught. The only fear was getting caught. We were actually quitting growing. Just 3 more months and that was it. I know that doesnt matter now.

The state guidelines say 0 to 30 years Fine up to $300,000

No mandatory minimums that I know of.

The question about whether my life is over...
I am having a difficult time keeping it together.
I know I brought this on myself and expect no sympathy.
This is what I meant...

I am soon to be 35. Now I am a felon. I am single. High school education.
I have nothing but my family who I have just badly hurt. I cant see any light at the end of the tunnel. None. I feel like I might as well be dead. I just want to know there is just a little hope. Hope that I am still able to save myself. I want to become a normal person. A normal, straight person with a wife, a family, and a boring job. I just want to know that there is something I can do to attone for my criminal behavior that wont include 5 -10 years in prison.

When I ask if my life is over, I mean do I have a chance to be like any other law-abiding citizen before I have one foot in the grave? (besides the felony, of course)

Thank you for the quick responses.

smutlydog

eric-j said:
Portland

Were all 230 plants rooted? The clones that were not rooted probably won't be counted as plants.

Was it feds that raided your house? Even if it wasn't they may want this case due to the number of plants, cash and evidence that you sold dope out of state.
That is not good news dues the Federal sentencing guidelines and mandatory minimum sentences. With regard to mandatory minimums federal judges have very little say so about what kind of punishment you receive.

Do a search on yahoo using the keywords “Federal sentencing guidelines”. You should be able to find what level you are at. Also do a search on "Mandatory minimums".

The only good news I have is the Constitutionality of mandatory minimums is now being questioned by the courts. This could affect 1000s of federal prisoners that may have been sentenced unlawfully under the current system.

Last edited:

BLOODLINE

Do the smart thing

California, Do what ever you can to get an attorney. Other wise you are at the mercy of the courts.

eric-j

First, racer72...You are a dick. Hope you are happy with yourself.

The ordinances I was charged with are OR475.992 and OR475.994

About 210 were rooted. 192 were considered "immature" and 18 were considered "mature" The amount of plants is misleading. We had 2 flower rooms with a total of 4 1000 watt lights. 18 in one room, up to 198 in the other. Each room used a different growing technique. Both rooms yielded roughly the same amount. About 2.5 lbs per room.
About 64 square feet of growing space. I would assume the feds dont give a damn about potential yields because they have no clue about marijuana growing.

No, the feds didnt raid us. County Vice squad. They seemed to think we would get a big fine and a lengthy probation.

Have an appointment with an attorney soon to see what we can do. Finally starting to get my head together. I apologize for the melodramatic posts.

eric-j

Thanks. I just found out I might get out of the "within 1000ft of a school" charge. I found this:

" (1) Manufacture or deliver a schedule I, II or III controlled substance within 1,000 feet of the real property comprising a public or private elementary, secondary or career school attended primarily by minors."

Well, this school used to be an elementary school, but now its either a pre-school or handicap school. These are not addressed specifically in Oregon law. We never saw children near the school.

S

seniorjudge

eric-j said:
Thanks. I just found out I might get out of the "within 1000ft of a school" charge. I found this:

" (1) Manufacture or deliver a schedule I, II or III controlled substance within 1,000 feet of the real property comprising a public or private elementary, secondary or career school attended primarily by minors."

Well, this school used to be an elementary school, but now its either a pre-school or handicap school. These are not addressed specifically in Oregon law. We never saw children near the school.
Sounds like to me it comes under the law you quoted.

eric-j

Oh well. It doesnt matter. I finally found a sentencing chart. We are considered level 8 offenders whether we are close to a school or not, due to the quantity (over a pound ). If the feds stay out of this then it looks like we have a chance just to receive a long probation and hefty fine. Either way, I am through with this stuff for good, even consumption. I am going to use this unfortunate event to turn my life around and make my family proud.

Thanks for the help here.

smutlydog

eric-j said:
Oh well. It doesnt matter. I finally found a sentencing chart. We are considered level 8 offenders whether we are close to a school or not, due to the quantity (over a pound ). If the feds stay out of this then it looks like we have a chance just to receive a long probation and hefty fine. Either way, I am through with this stuff for good, even consumption. I am going to use this unfortunate event to turn my life around and make my family proud.

Make sure your attorney has handled cases like this before.

Last edited:

MrStoner

eric-j said:

This is true, but there is something else that you need to worry about if you have a family: civil asset forfeiture. You can believe that in addition to a huge fine that you will pay on for the rest of your life, the county is going to come after you CIVILLY and take everything that you see around you that they can get a few hundred bucks or more for.

If you have any assets that aren't frozen, now is the time to liquidate and transfer them. Often the government waits for the criminal case to conclude before going after the property - get your cash to someone you trust while you can. Just transferring the property IS NOT SUFFICIENT. They can bring motions to undo the transfers, you need to get cash to someone you trust.

Good luck, if you have maintained a regular job and weren't just a weed dealer you'll be out of this before you know it. The party days are forever over for you though dude.

--MrStoner

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">