• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Assignments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ERDOC

What is the name of your state?Michigan

My husband and I are both receipients of HPSP scholarships. However, I did ROTC in college so I owe the Army 8 years and he owes them 2 (we both plan on staying in for at least 20). We are currently Medical Residents in Michigan, but our residency lengths differ by 1 year. I would like it if we were both able to enter back into the army at the same time. Does any one know of any delays that would enable me to work as a civilian for a year and then receive a joint assignment with my spouse?

Thanks in advance :)

lvn4ever

joint assignments

have you brainstormed with the medical recruiter yet? When at a recruiting bn years several ago, the medical recruiter my husband worked with worked all sorts of miracles.....

rmet4nzkx

Get your contract out and read it carefully, we recently had a situation with an Army HPSP scholarship receipiant being separated from her husband who lived in another state without any Army facilities, she was pregnant and they were looking at not being able to be together until she fulfilled her AD comitment. Look carefully at your contract to see when your active duty commitment starts and the fact that you do not have the same options as others. Maybe the medical recruiter can work wonders. You might also look into one serving at a nearby base while the other completes residency or at worst being separated for 1 year and hoping to get assigned together, you might not see each other much more during your residency anyway. Please realize that pregnancy will not be the ticket to your goal. A part of figuring the commitments is based on when you got comissioned. There are a couple of options such as changing branch of the service or other uniformed service, but it may be too late for that. Keep us updated.

ERDOC

joint assignments

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts. I had not thought about the medical recruiter, I just assumed we were done with business :) As far as changing branches, I don't think that is really an option because he will be entering the army as a surgeon (2008), and I as an Er doctor (2007)( on the bright side, we might be able to get the same field hospital or tents close to each other :p )

I am not sure what to make of the pregancy comment, I am trying not to take offense to it. My father was in the military for 20+ years and took us around the world with him. I did not accept my scholarships with the thought that I would have the military pay for my schooling and then try to get out of my responsibilities by then getting pregnant (besides, officers can not get out of the military for that reason). I understand, however, this comment is probably coming from personal experience. again, thanks for the advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">