• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grandparents visitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gramngramps

What is the name of your state? New York

my son and his wife died, and we gave legal custody to her parents. After almost 6 years and having legal court received visitation rights, they just informed us, they adopted the children and never told us till it was done.
Our court visitation said we could have the children every summer, alternating months between July and August each year. Now they tell us we cannot come up in August as planned, (we now live in Texas) that it is up to their disgression when we can visit. Is this true? They knew we could not get off work at the time in June they specified, and I fear that if I do ever make arrangements with them, they will renege, as they did this before, and that is why we took them to court to get these visitation rights in the first place.

gramngramps

We have no idea. They adopted them without informing us until it was done. I asked for a copy of the letter or anything from the lawyer, whether they send it or not, I don't know. I would think by rights they should have to send something that proves it to us. They know how hard it is for us to do anything, being half way across he country....

LdiJ

If your visitation is court ordered, an adoption by a family member usually doesn't overturn your visitation rights. It was not legally required for them to notify/serve you in an adoption case, but they would have to serve you if they were attempting to terminate your court ordered visitation.

I agree that you need to consult an attorney to verify that. However if I am correct, and they are not honoring your court orders, then your next step would be to file for contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">