• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

19yr old MIP of Alcohol

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

collegeguy24

What is the name of your state?Nebraska.

Last night I was standing outside of a house, holding a bottle of whiskey. I was with a friend of mine and two men I didn't know. A policeman drove up, got out of his car, and told us he was there for a complaint of being too noisy. He got our IDs, and wrote me up for MIP of alcohol, and my friend for MIP of alcohol by consumption (MIC). I told him I wasn't drunk, and offered to take a breathalizer or sobriety test. He declined and told me to sit down.

So my question is, do you think I would have a fair chance of getting the charge dropped in court, with an attorney? I was technically holding the bottle of whiskey, so they have me there. But reasonably, I wasn't rude, wasn't driving, wasn't breathalized, the bottle wasn't mine. There were two officers at the scene by the time the tickets were issued. Is it enough to have their words against mine? Would a judge/prosecuter still feel the need to charge me even though I was completely harmless, that i was just barely breaking the law in a college drinking city where reckless intoxication is the norm? If you need any more information, please let me know. Thank you all for your time.

collegeguy

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

collegeguy24 said:
What is the name of your state?Nebraska.

Last night I was standing outside of a house, holding a bottle of whiskey. I was with a friend of mine and two men I didn't know. A policeman drove up, got out of his car, and told us he was there for a complaint of being too noisy. He got our IDs, and wrote me up for MIP of alcohol, and my friend for MIP of alcohol by consumption (MIC). I told him I wasn't drunk, and offered to take a breathalizer or sobriety test. He declined and told me to sit down.

So my question is, do you think I would have a fair chance of getting the charge dropped in court, with an attorney? I was technically holding the bottle of whiskey, so they have me there. But reasonably, I wasn't rude, wasn't driving, wasn't breathalized, the bottle wasn't mine. There were two officers at the scene by the time the tickets were issued. Is it enough to have their words against mine? Would a judge/prosecuter still feel the need to charge me even though I was completely harmless, that i was just barely breaking the law in a college drinking city where reckless intoxication is the norm? If you need any more information, please let me know. Thank you all for your time.

collegeguy

My response:

No, we don't need any more information. You've written enough stupid statements to last a lifetime, that I don't know where to begin with you.

Do you EVEN know what MIP stands for?

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

Gosh, didn't your father warn you to pour your booze into a coke bottle if you are going to drink it out in public, that's what they did when he was in college! :rolleyes: Better yet, wait until you are of legal age to drink, it's so tacky to drink from a bottle in front of a house or to get arrested.

collegeguy24

Thanks, any more constructive criticism?

And I'm glad I'm taking so much **** for drinking, when most of the posts here are about possession of illegal narcotics. It was a careless and idiotic mistake to get caught, I'm not saying it wasn't. I'm looking for help with my next step. But feel free to post worthless responses again, I'll still read them.

Last edited:

LawGirl10

From what you have written, I don't see anything specific that you can challenge. The officers were there legally, you were possessing alcohol, you are a minor, that is all they need. You handled the situation the best that you could have (believe me, the minute people started getting stupid, I was more than willing to tack on extra charges) and you need to emphasize that in court. However, from what you described, they have more than enough.

Ok, you tacked on that edit after I wrote what I did above. You seriously need to change your attitude

Last edited:

The Occultist

"i was just barely breaking the law in a college drinking city where reckless intoxication is the norm?"

With that kind of attitude, I'm glad you were caught. Just because everybody does it does NOT mean it's ok or that you should get off lightly. I would love to see somebody trying using the "everybody does it" defense in court.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

The Occultist said:
"i was just barely breaking the law in a college drinking city where reckless intoxication is the norm?"

With that kind of attitude, I'm glad you were caught. Just because everybody does it does NOT mean it's ok or that you should get off lightly. I would love to see somebody trying using the "everybody does it" defense in court.

My response:

This was but one example of why I thought this kid's post was so stupid. Can you find 10 more examples?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">