• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i get an alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

upset1978

What is the name of your state?
Hi, I am not an american citizen yet.(turkish) We got married in Turkey.My hubby in usaf and we are living in Japan for over 2 years now. But living next oct. we don't know where yet. My hubby wants to get a divorce and we have 7 m old.We have been married almost 4 year now. I worked when we got to japan 2 years. But i am stay home mom taking care of my baby.
If we get a divorce, Does he have to support me?if so how do you calculate the amount? He wants to keep our son but i want him too.
Could you please help!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you sooo much.

upset1978

--PARIDISE-- said:
You can't expect the US law to apply here. Your are not a citizen of the USA, and you got married in Turkey. Your child was not born in the US.

State laws do not apply to you.

Has the father made sure that the child is a legal citizan? Your child as it stands is not a legal resident in the US.
My son is an American but born abroad thats it.

Shay-Pari'e

upset1978 said:
What is the name of your state?
Hi, I am not an american citizen yet.(turkish) We got married in Turkey.My hubby in usaf and we are living in Japan for over 2 years now. But living next oct. we don't know where yet. My hubby wants to get a divorce and we have 7 m old.We have been married almost 4 year now. I worked when we got to japan 2 years. But i am stay home mom taking care of my baby.
If we get a divorce, Does he have to support me?if so how do you calculate the amount? He wants to keep our son but i want him too.
Could you please help!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you sooo much.
Since he is military, his home state of residence will apply here. I don't see Alimony in the short span of your marriage, but without knowing his state of residency, no one can really answer that.

With you not being a citizen really complicates things.

You need a lawyer.........PRONTO.

upset1978

--PARIDISE-- said:
Since he is military, his home state of residence will apply here. I don't see Alimony in the short span of your marriage, but without knowing his state of residency, no one can really answer that.

With you not being a citizen really complicates things.

You need a lawyer.........PRONTO.
He is from Tx, so if we get a divorce he will throw me to the curve with out anything? i stayed home because i am breastfeeding. I have a green card tho. Does it help? i am so sorry i am soooo upset.

nextwife

A US citizen, in such a short marriage, would likely not be entitled to alimony or spousal support. They would be expected to go back to doing whatever they were doing to support themselves before they were married. The non-custodial parent would, however, be ordered to help support their child. Each parent would be expected to support themsleves. He would likely be ordered to pay his share of the cost of day care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">