• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend is scared . . . .

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Janelle717

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My coworker ("Linda") is in need of some answers. She and her husband ("Greg") have custody of his son by a former wife. Linda wanted to adopt "George" because the natural mother "Casey" hasn't been involved for around 3 years.

Here is where it gets a little odd. Greg's parents have now helped Casey get an attorney to fight the adoption and to get visitation rights (Linda and Greg are afraid that since Casey and Greg's parents are working together, Greg's parents will kidnap George during one of Casey's visits and take him across state lines to their home in Kentucky, or worse, that they'll kidnap him and go where they can't be found. They think that's why as soon as Linda decided to adopt George, Casey came out of the woodwork and magically wanted visitation.).

Greg's parents raised George for a few years while Greg was getting his life together (getting a full-time job, etc.). He then married Linda and has been doing fantastic! He's going to AA and been sober for over a year now. Linda has been a wonderful, steadying force in his life. His parents think that he and Linda are failures as parents, that George shouldn't have to worry about homework being done and crazy things like that.

Greg's parents think Greg & Linda are terrible parents. (I can tell you from personally babysitting George that I think they've done a fantastic job with him. He's very smart, polite, etc. and Linda cries over the thought of losing him. He's not abused, etc. Linda works as a counselor with underprivileged kids here in the Dayton area. Greg is an electrician.) I have no idea why they think that.

Anyway, the question is, what rights to Greg's parents have, if any, across state lines or even in Ohio alone (because nobody would put it past them to move to Ohio if it made their case better)? I know this is jumbled so if you need clarification, please feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Thanks for anything you can say to help!

LdiJ

Janelle717 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

My coworker ("Linda") is in need of some answers. She and her husband ("Greg") have custody of his son by a former wife. Linda wanted to adopt "George" because the natural mother "Casey" hasn't been involved for around 3 years.

Here is where it gets a little odd. Greg's parents have now helped Casey get an attorney to fight the adoption and to get visitation rights (Linda and Greg are afraid that since Casey and Greg's parents are working together, Greg's parents will kidnap George during one of Casey's visits and take him across state lines to their home in Kentucky, or worse, that they'll kidnap him and go where they can't be found. They think that's why as soon as Linda decided to adopt George, Casey came out of the woodwork and magically wanted visitation.).

Greg's parents raised George for a few years while Greg was getting his life together (getting a full-time job, etc.). He then married Linda and has been doing fantastic! He's going to AA and been sober for over a year now. Linda has been a wonderful, steadying force in his life. His parents think that he and Linda are failures as parents, that George shouldn't have to worry about homework being done and crazy things like that.

Greg's parents think Greg & Linda are terrible parents. (I can tell you from personally babysitting George that I think they've done a fantastic job with him. He's very smart, polite, etc. and Linda cries over the thought of losing him. He's not abused, etc. Linda works as a counselor with underprivileged kids here in the Dayton area. Greg is an electrician.) I have no idea why they think that.

Anyway, the question is, what rights to Greg's parents have, if any, across state lines or even in Ohio alone (because nobody would put it past them to move to Ohio if it made their case better)? I know this is jumbled so if you need clarification, please feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Thanks for anything you can say to help!
Greg's parents have no rights at all. I suspect that Greg's parents have the mistaken idea that if Casey gets custody she can turn the child over to Greg's parents to raise....naturally that is just a suspicion on my part, but its not uncommon.

I hope that your friends of have a good attorney. They can still fight for the adoption but those chances are much slimmer now that Casey wants visitation. However they can also fight for Casey's visitation to be supervised (at least to start) since she has not been part of the child's life for 3 years.

If she isn't really interested.....and its really his parents who think that they can get the child in a 'round about manner...then she probably won't take advantage of the supervised visits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">