• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug Residue in Trash

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Court

What is the name of your state?Texas
My niece was asked by her boyfriend to help him by cleaning up after a party he had at his parents second property so he wouldn't be in trouble with them. She did not attend the party. She and her mother cleaned the place, each throwing bags of trash in their cars. Niece rushes off to work, forgetting about the bag of trash. On way home from work she is stopped for speeding and the car is searched. Officer finds drug residue in trash. (A white powder) To my knowledge, they found nothing anywhere else. I believe she's facing possession charges. She's currently out on bail. What are her chances of getting out of this? Is there much of a case here? No prior charges other than traffic violations. To my knowledge, she doesn't use. We're poor people and can't afford an attorney. They'll probably have to settle for a public defender.

Son of Slam

Court said:
What is the name of your state?Texas
My niece was asked by her boyfriend to help him by cleaning up after a party he had at his parents second property so he wouldn't be in trouble with them. She did not attend the party. She and her mother cleaned the place, each throwing bags of trash in their cars. Niece rushes off to work, forgetting about the bag of trash. On way home from work she is stopped for speeding and the car is searched. Officer finds drug residue in trash. (A white powder) To my knowledge, they found nothing anywhere else. I believe she's facing possession charges. She's currently out on bail. What are her chances of getting out of this? Is there much of a case here? No prior charges other than traffic violations. To my knowledge, she doesn't use. We're poor people and can't afford an attorney. They'll probably have to settle for a public defender.

Bottom line is that she WAS in possession of all the drugs that were in her car. Right?

The Occultist

Son of Slam said:
I'll say it again, "A public defender has a fool for a client."
Nah, you're thinking of somebody who represents himself.

Anywho, your niece did know there were drugs at the party (I mean, it was her boyfriend's party, right?), most likely she did actually attend that party, and she probably also participates in the use of those drugs. But, all of that is irrelevant; she's being charged with possession of drugs, and the drugs were with her in her car, so she's guilty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">