• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Involuntary Commitment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Matthew Hey

What is the name of your state? NC. I was treated for alcohol dependence on two occasions in the last decade at two different state hospitals, both times being "involutarilly commited" (in order for the Sheriff to provide me with transportation to the facility). This is haunting me for two reasons now: 1) I have a Commercial Driver's License with a Hazmat endorsement, and due to the Patriot Act I believe these commitments will prevent me from retaining this endorsement and 2) Can I ever legally purchase a firearm again? Thanks

rmet4nzkx

How many DUI's do you have?
Do you attend AA?
How long clean and sober?
Any arrests and/or convictions, details?

Matthew Hey

NC (2) DWI's (one in 1991, the other in 1997). I've been sober about 6 months this time; I go to AA daily. Nothing on my record since that last DWI in 1997.

rmet4nzkx

Well your record stands as it stands, there is little you can do about it other than to be honest, keep with AA and keep clean and sober.

Katy W.

Matthew, your involuntary committment is medical information and not accessible by an employer or any other unauthorized person. I went to the HIPAA site and read everything about involuntary committment and the only people who can access these records are, basically, people who are treating you medically and law enforcement people if needing to process the call when they brought you in. (And billing people, etc.)

I do not know about the Patriot Act, but I really think that you don't have much to worry about there.

Now if there was a civil violation you were charged with and found guilty of in the process of the committment, that would be on your police record.

I really think you are okay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">