• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hippa Violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladcdm

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? AZ

I recently had a emotional breakdown and was taken to the hospital for 24 hrs. The mother of one of my children's friend works for the hospital system and was able to give my husband and adult children information that they were even unable to obtain. Was this a violation of my hippa rights?

correct_this

Hippa Rights

First off, I am no lawyer so I am only telling you this as a friend who has had to deal with these inane issues every time I go to the hospital. It is frustrating and these rules seem like they are cast in stone so I can only assume some legal framework is supporting them. Now, if money is a problem and it is with me and most of us I would first contact the Attorney General in your state. Even before you do that do some research on the Internet for particulars about the law so you have the language down when you contact the Attorney General in your state. Use Google.com search tool and type in the name of the law in question. Arm yourself and see what you can do. If all else fails, legal aid for free is available in many communities so you can explore that avenue also. Good luck, your story certainly indicates an injury of great proportions in relation to the law as I see it.

Last edited:

Katy W.

If someone working for a health care provider accessed and discussed your medical record then it is indeed a HIPAA violation. Go to the HIPAA website and find out what to do about it:

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/[/URL]

lkc15507

Absolutley, yes, this is a HIPAA violation. The only way out of that is if the individual were directly involved in your care and had your consent to relate that information. Or, directly involved in your care and you were incapacitated / incapable of giving consent. In addition to the advice above, many computerized institutions will be able to track access to computer files to guard against just such violations. This is an offense worthy of employment termination for this person at nearly any health care institution. As a responsible RN I wouldn't even consider accessing my own family's information if they were hospitalized in my facility. I hear of this so often and I hope you take her to task.

sincerely, lkc15507

Last edited:

mizzmia

ok, so i just randomly came across this post, and i don't mean to sound rude, but why would you care? most people would be glad that someone was giving their family information if the doctor wasn't. you're obviously not going to be able to sue for lots of money for them giving your family information, but you might be able to get the girl who did it fired. please, i'm dying to know, what satisfaction would that give anyone?

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? AZ

I recently had a emotional breakdown and was taken to the hospital for 24 hrs. The mother of one of my children's friend works for the hospital system and was able to give my husband and adult children information that they were even unable to obtain. Was this a violation of my hippa rights?
aside from the kneejerk WRONG answers you received, and based solely on the facts presented, NO it was NOT a violation of HIPAA laws.:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">