• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easement Question(greedy neighbor)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gimmeagig

Hi,
I hope someone here can give me advice in the following situation.
I own ten acres and from our house there is a beautiful view.Our neighbor also owns 10 acres, but he is landlocked and therefore has a 60 foot wide easement which goes right in front of our house to another private road which connects with a county road.
I have bought two buildable lots worth over 40000.- each(include are the LIDs) that border onto his property and connect directly to a county road, with the intention to provide another access for my neighbor.I have offered to giftdeed those lots to my neighbor in order for him to relinquish the easement he currently has.
The lots I want to give to him would make it much easier to access to his property except he would have to build a road.
My neighbor is not satisfied with the offer I have made and might also want to be paid to have the road built.These lots I'm offering are not dumpy lots they have a gentle slope and are completely buildable.My neighbor knows how much the existing easement impacts my property(It is 60 foot wide and crosses right in front of my house)I think he is getting greedy and I want to know if there is a way to force my neighbor to accept my very substantial gift and give up the easement..
Another idea is :I keep the lots and build a road that connects to his property.Can I force him to give up the original easement?Again the new access would be much shorter(250 ft vs 1/4 mile) and connect directly to a county maintained road.
I would really apprecciate any advice
Thank you
Roxy

S

seniorjudge

There is no way to make him involuntarily give up that easement.

Keep negotiating with him....

gimmeagig

greedy neighbour

Thanks for your reply.I'm trying to work it out with my neighbour but I get the feeling that he either wants to have us built the road for him too or that he might have already foung a different access and wants to split his 10 acre parcel and develop the part close to my property.I have the bad feeling that he is not telling us what his real intentions are.
If it turns out that we cannot come to an agreement, I want to fight him every step of the way.The easement is 60 ft wide, that's the with of a county road right across the lakeview part of my house.So whatever we can legally get away with we will do.Can I petition the courts to have the easement with reduced, can I prevent him from paving or using asphalt or gravel, or can he just build a road in front of my house?Can I put up a gate with a lock that would require him to get out of his car every time he drives through?In the winter the snow will have to be cleared.Can I prevent him from depositing any snow on my land?
In other words how can I make it miserable for him to use the easement?
Also, I'm in Idaho.How can I find the best Lawyer for this kind of a situation?

gimmeagig

greedy neighbour

Thanks for your reply.I'm trying to work it out with my neighbour but I get the feeling that he either wants to have us built the road for him too or that he might have already foung a different access and wants to split his 10 acre parcel and develop the part close to my property.I have the bad feeling that he is not telling us what his real intentions are.
If it turns out that we cannot come to an agreement, I want to fight him every step of the way.The easement is 60 ft wide, that's the with of a county road right across the lakeview part of my house.So whatever we can legally get away with we will do.Can I petition the courts to have the easement with reduced, can I prevent him from paving or using asphalt or gravel, or can he just build a road in front of my house?Can I put up a gate with a lock that would require him to get out of his car every time he drives through?In the winter the snow will have to be cleared.Can I prevent him from depositing any snow on my land?
In other words how can I make it miserable for him to use the easement?
Also, I'm in Idaho.How can I find the best Lawyer for this kind of a situation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">