• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxes on the sale of a foreign inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MissCrabette

Taxes on the sale of a foreign inheritance property

What is the name of your state? MD

I am a permanent resident and I recently inherited some property from my deceased grandfather in Romania. What taxes would I pay in the US if I chose to sell the property and bring the money to the US? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Snipes5

It doesn't matter whether you bring the money to the US or not. You will be taxed on it the same way a US Citizen would be.

The basis is the value on the date of death. Your gain is the difference between the sale price and the valuation.

Snipes

MissCrabette

Thank you!

I figured I'd have to pay tax on capital gains. I suppose it helps that inheritance property that is sold is treated as if it was held for at least a year. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So other than paying tax on capital gains, will there be anything else? Income tax or inheritance tax?

Snipes5

Inheritance tax, probably not, since you are receiving the inheritance, and it is coming from a foreign country.

Capital Gains taxes are income taxes. Yes, it is treated as long term

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">