• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Done wrong by agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phoenix_flames

What is the name of your state? Alabama
Ok, I had a child in 1996. The agency I went through was friendly enough and had a good reputation. When I sat down to do the papers the social worker asked my what my stipulations for adoption were. I told her I wanted pictures every month for the first year, then on birthdays and holidays every year after that until she was of legal age. I watched her write it down and notarize the paper and put it with my file. She said it was very reasonable. I met the adopting parents and they seemed so grateful to me. They said they could never do enough for me. The adoption went smoothly. I recieved pictures every month for the first 6 months. Then they stopped coming in the mail. I contacted the agency (my personal worker had left the agency by then) and they said first they hadnt recieved pictures. After many calls they finally said "oh here they are in the back of a drawer." I was very upset. I had to fight the agency to send me my pictures up until she was 10 months old. Then one day I stopped by and found to my dismay, the agency was closed. I found out they were a fly-by-night agency and the lead director took off to another state. 3 Years went by and I finally found another lady at an adoption agency that was willing to help me. She contacted the judge that had signed the papers and got permission to be a mediator for me. He gave her permission. She accessed my files and not only was the stipulation paper the one paper the acengy DIDNT give me a copy of, it was also mysteriously missing from my files. She contacted the adoptive parents and they said the agency had told them they no longer had to send pictures after a year. But they said they had sent them up to a year. I only have pics of up to 10 months. The adoption lady told the adoptive mother that I did not want to break up or disrupt the home, I only wanted pictures. She mother said "she'd think about it." Big change from telling me they would do anything out of gratefulness.The adoption lady said she wouldnt contact them again. My child will be 9 next month. Every year I hope this is the year they change their mind and send me pics. All I want to know is what she looks like. Is there ANYTHING I can do to get pictures from them? This has been tearing me up for 9 years. Please someone help me.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You're probably out of luck. The parents are not obligated to provide any information or contact. When she's 18, she can decide if she wants to find you.

Mama2many

wronged by agency

That is totally NOT right of the adoptive parents. If they agreed to send pictures they should be sending pictures. That is a threat to some people but they knew that when they went into it. I have a semi-open adoption with two of my 4 adopted children and I would never pull a nasty stunt like that. I hope they soften their hearts and send you your pictures.

mom2J

Pheonix, I'm very sorry to hear about how the adoptive family has treated you. I do hope they will change their minds and send pictures.

As for the legalities of an open/ semi-open adoption, there are only 17-states with statutes to allow courts to approve certain kinds of post-adoption contact agreements and unfortunately AL isn't one of them. Most include language saying that failure to comply with the agreement cannot be used to challenge the validity of the adoption itself, and all do not allow the court to impose post-adoption contact on anyone who objects, including the child if over the age of 12 or 14.

The open/semi-open adoption agreements should be considered a moral commitment for both adoptive and birth parents, and that both parties would recognize a moral obligation to maintain the agreement, however with that stated, they are not legally binding.

I would suggest you keep your contact information updated in the adoption file. I would also suggest that you join as many of the reunion registries as possible to make your child's searching easier, if she chooses.

Mom2J

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">