• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Infalted Salary - How to correct it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fanz

What is the name of your state?I overinflated my salary on one of my jobs on most of my resumes to make it look inline with the rest.... just simply assumed that they don't reference check salary...stupid me.... whats the best way to correct this .... mention it in the interview (made a typo) when I get one or just hope it doesnt get discovered.

Fanz

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
First of all, correct it on any more resumes that you send out. Having false information on your application, including your resume, is the very best way of making sure you don't get hired/get fired when it is caught.

Frankly, neither option is very good, but correcting it in the interview is the better of the two. That way you only look sloppy. If you leave it alone hoping it won't get discovered (and if they do even the most cursory reference check it WILL get discovered) it's a sure thing that your application will immediately go into the "not interested" pile.

If by some chance it slips through and you are hired, but your employer finds out later that the information is incorrect (and that is FAR easier than you might think even after hire) you will be fired.

Beth3

Ditto to what cbg said. Also, when you go to the interview, bring in a corrected copy of your resume and hand it to the interviewer, explaining that you made a type on your salary level. I can't tell you whether the interviewer will buy that story or not, or whether he/she will rightly assume you inflated your salary and then had second thoughts about it but either way, correcting that information now is absolutely the best way to go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">