• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obtaining Security Clearance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Titusfied

What is the name of your state? NJ

In September 2000, I worked as a Co-op and applied for a Secret clearance, which I received in December 2000. I have since then, gone back to school and the clearance has expired (Or I believe it has). I am graduating in June 2005 and have received a DWI in July of 2003. Now that I am looking for jobs, I am wondering if it is still possible to obtain a Secret or TS clearance?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Viceman

It's possible, but not likely. I'm no expert, so don't take my opinion as gospel. Part of the problem is that it occured in the last two years, which is considered recent behavior. If this was an arrest from a scuffle outside a bar, that would be one thing, but this was for drunk driving; something any government agency would frown upon. Your best chance would be for them to realize this was an isolated event that has not happened before or since. I don't know your history, so any past troubles with alcohol will hurt your chances, especially for a TS. You would need a super clean background otherwise with excellent references. You will also need a company to sponsor you for a background investigation, etc. Since clearances are so expensive and time consuming, they want only the most likely candidates to receive approval of a clearance. You might want to consider finding a job that does not require a clearance right away, but can be sponsored for one at a later time after more time has elapsed. You want to distance yourself from that event as much as possible. So sorry that my post isn't more positive. Good luck to you!!

Viceman

There is a tremendous difference between a Secret and Top Secret clearance. Secret clearances are much faster, don't require the depth of investigation and have a longer time frame until renewal is required. They also don't require as much scruitiny, but a DWI will really make things difficult. A Secret and TS are often considered a comparison between night and day. For the agencies that require a valued TS, a Secret clearance is often considered worthless and equivalent to not having a clearance at all since the candidate would need to start from scratch to obtain a TS clearance just like anyone without any clearance would. The high level TS clearances also include a polygraph exam. Some polygraphs are limited in scope, some are more extensive. All employers and government agencies have their own quirks to the process, so none work exactly the same. There are plenty of websites describing the nuances of security clearances. Do a search and start reading up on them; you will likely find them very useful.

Last edited:

kesmith1

Security Clearance for S.C. job but occurance happened in N.C.

Hi,
I'm in a similiar situation but mine was because my nephew was living with us and got caught growing pot in our home in a closet and we were unaware of it until one of his friends told on him 01/04 and all charges were dropped against him because he was a minor and any against us except a misdemeanor charge for the cigarette papers found in a desk in his room that they charged us with - drug paraphernalia as the police thought we should have been more responsible and probably so. I have had 2 Clearances and the last one expired 12/04 (this was a MBI TCS Treasury Communications Systems Clearance). I am being considered for a secret clearance job so I'm concerned about this to say the least. I have a clean record and good to great credit rating too with good to great references. Any thoughts or comments?

Viceman

kesmith1,

Your post is a new question/subject and not a continuation of the post you replied to. Please re-post your situation in a new thread and delete your first post from this thread. This will allow for responses exclusive to your post instead of multiple issues combined into one thread. Many thanks.

dsb_dc

Titusfied -
The Defense Security Service adjudicates clearances for all defense contractors. In other words, they look at the information from the investigation and determine whether you are eligible for a clearance. Their adjudicative guidelines (http://www.dss.mil/nf/adr/adjguid/adjguidt.htm#alcohol consumption) say that

Conditions that could raise a security concern and may be disqualifying include:
a. Alcohol-related incidents away from work, such as driving while under the influence, fighting, child or spouse abuse, or other criminal incidents related to alcohol use

The supplemental guidance (http://www.dss.mil/nf/adr/alcohol/alcoholF.htm) goes into much more detail.

pb1963

valid for 10 years

Titusfied said:
What is the name of your state? NJ

In September 2000, I worked as a Co-op and applied for a Secret clearance, which I received in December 2000. I have since then, gone back to school and the clearance has expired (Or I believe it has). I am graduating in June 2005 and have received a DWI in July of 2003. Now that I am looking for jobs, I am wondering if it is still possible to obtain a Secret or TS clearance?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Wherever you worked as a Co-op that required you to obtain a clearance should have given you a letter when you left their employment stating that they administratively terminated your clearance. When you obtain a clearance it is good for 10 years. It may be active or inactive, but when it is inactive for a 2 year period within that 10 year period it becomes invalid and you have to resubmit your paperwork.

If you are looking for jobs that require a TS clearance, don't. First of all no company is allowed to advertise that they are requiring a TS to apply and secondly with the DUI as recent as 2003, a TS is out of the question right now and I wouldn't even look for a job requiring a secret clearance. Your clearance is good right now but not active, if you get a job and have to activate it the DUI could hurt the Secret clearance you already have......then again it might not, but keep it in mind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">