• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

easement and gates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tadelrio

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? California.

We have 16 acres in a rural area on the central coast. We have a deeded right of way for ingress and egress to cross over the neighbor's property to reach our property with rights of maintenence, repair and replacement. The road is the only point of entry for both properties. The road is approximately 1/2 mile long and has a "y" where we go right to our property and the neighbor continues to his residence. The easement road is fenced on either side and is 20 feet in width from one point to another and 15 feet wide at another point.

Last spring the neighbor bought four cows. They have 16 acres of land of land to graze the cows on. They rotate the cows in and out of different pastures. The neighbor has a pasture area up by their residence that is not fenced. The neighbor refused to fence off the easement road at this point (approximately 100 feet long) to keep the cows in the grass area. Thus allowing the cows to roam the asphalt road, defecating, urinating, standing and at times laying dead center infront of our entrance and the road we just repaved last year. The neighbor demanded that we shut our gate/entrance ( which we leave open ) to keep the cows from entering our property. Furthermore, he gated another portion of the easment below to keep the cows from walking further down the road. So now it is spring and he is getting ready (I can tell) to move those cows in this portion of his property and on the easment road which forces us to go through two gates and to have to get in and out of our cars four times just to get home. We asked him to fence the cows off the road and he refused stating that he had the right to gate, not gate and or use any portion of his property as he wished despite what it did to us. We have only lived there two 1/2 years. The previous owners lived in LA and were weekenders at best.

My questions are... Can he legally mandate us to abide by his demands to keep the gates closed? What can we do?

Secondly, Can we complete the fencing ourselves (along the easement of course) to keep the easment/right of way unonstructed, safe, clean and easily maintained? It is totally a burden, filthy, and in my opinion unsafe because we walk and jog on the road to get to the street, and my son walks to catch the school bus etc. The neighbor hates anyone on the easement and has stated that we can't even walk on the road. There is no reasoning with him and he becomes abusive in his language with tremendous hostility. He has even yelled at my 9 year son to get off his property while walking home from the bus stop.

We have called the sheriff and the sheriff has spoken to him, but the officer said it is a "civil matter"and we have to go to court. He is a bitter old man and I regret ever having to live next to this type of person.

What to do?

ms.magoo

Hi there, I think that in your situation you should really read your easement agreement over well first off. From what you've posted, stating that you do have the rights to maintaining and repairing that easement area, I would think that you might just have the right to erect a fence within the easement area to keep the neighbours cattle off of the road. I would also mention that you should take your easement agreement to a good real estate atty to look over first before taking any action on building that fence. The atty might suggest that he write a letter to your neighbour detailing your concerns about his cattle an that your intentions to prevent any further damages or safety concerns would be to erect that fence to solve the problems. Also giving the neighbour a set time as to when you will be starting to build the fence. That way, when you do try to go an build the fence, an the neighbour starts to go ballistic, then you already have a good background laid down, to use, if the time comes when you have to take him to court on this issue. It will help you to look like you took the responsible, mature, common sense way of resolving the easement problems you're having with the neighbour an his cattle roaming all over it. :eek:

S

seniorjudge

All of the answers I give you may change once you post the actual language of the easement!

Q: Can he legally mandate us to abide by his demands to keep the gates closed? What can we do?

A: Yes, if he has livestock running on his property and he does not want them to run on to your land you will have to shut your gate.

Q: Secondly, Can we complete the fencing ourselves (along the easement of course) to keep the easment/right of way unonstructed, safe, clean and easily maintained?

A: It sounds like he is the one doing all the maintaining. Absent any other language I do not know about, you cannot build anything on the easement.

tadelrio

California.

The grant of easement is: The easement granted herein is appurtenant to the dominent tenement (That is me).

The description of the easement: "the easement granted herein is a right of way easement. It inlcudes the specific locations.

The use of esement by dominent tenement is: "Ingress and egress to dominent tenement. The easement is exclusive with seondary easements of incidental rights of maintenece, repair and replacement. In the event of any controversy or claim or dispute the prevailaing party shall be entitiled to recover attorney fees. That is it.

The easement road is a shared road and point of entry for both properties until it splits. The neightbor has fencing along the road all except that 100 feet area, which creates the double gate situation. He fenced it twice and took it down twice. It is my opinion that he does it to harass us. There is no good reason to not keep the cows in the pasture.

Anyway..... It is so frustrating because he thinks that we are trying to assert control over his land when we just want the road to be maintained and unobstructed. Like I said earlier he complains that we walk it to get mail or my child walking to the bus stop.

S

seniorjudge

seniorjudge said:
All of the answers I give you may change once you post the actual language of the easement!

Q: Can he legally mandate us to abide by his demands to keep the gates closed? What can we do?

A: Yes, if he has livestock running on his property and he does not want them to run on to your land you will have to shut your gate.

Q: Secondly, Can we complete the fencing ourselves (along the easement of course) to keep the easment/right of way unonstructed, safe, clean and easily maintained?

A: It sounds like he is the one doing all the maintaining. Absent any other language I do not know about, you cannot build anything on the easement.

After reading what is on your easement, it sounds like I was correct the first time.

tadelrio

tdelrio

undefined

Thanks for your input. I have one more question, ingress and egress pretain to any mode of tranportation, is that right? Walking, jogging, driving etc?
Since it is our only access point.

Thanks.

S

seniorjudge

tadelrio said:
undefined

Thanks for your input. I have one more question, ingress and egress pretain to any mode of tranportation, is that right? Walking, jogging, driving etc?
Since it is our only access point.

Thanks.
Ingress and egress mean just that; the mode is usually not specified.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">