• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo fire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maureen Goodman

I live in Cook County, Illinois.
Fire in my condo unit August 2004.
Building permit picked up by contractor Dec 13 2004.
Work began mid January 2005.
Target date for completion August 31. 2005.
MAnagement company is responsible for the delay in re-construction starting.
My "loss of use" insurance runs out March 31. They have told me TOUGH LUCK. Not their fault. I'm paying my $900.00 association fee, mortgage, storage and will have to find somewhere to live that cost less than the $1800.00 rent and rental furniture where I'm at.
The association insurance company said I should have been home by Christmas. All delays were because of Association putting off work.
Found out today that their hired contractor has given me a list of work specs and allowances that differs from the one that the Condo insurance company and association is paying him to recontruct my home. Example: cooktop allowance for me is $500.00--his allowance is $650.00. The difference in money being paid to him and what he's allowing me is in the thousands. This is for appliances, carpet, tile, fixtures, etc. He's allowing me $20.00 per yard for carpet and is being paid $36.00 per yard. What he is giving me isn't as nice as what came with the unit when I purchased it!!
Is this legal? Can he give me less than what they have designated for my replacement?
Keys to my home were released to the Condo assoc. manager by the FIre Marshall 2 days after fire.
I wasn't notified or given the keys until 8 days later.
Manager took other unit owners on tour of my apartment without my being present.
Manager hired a demolition team to shovel my possessions into a heap in a corner without my knowledge. After everything was piled, broken glass was dumped on top of heap. I had requested that nothing be disturbed as there was jewelry in the room that they did this in. It was lost and things that were not destroyed by fire were destroyed by deomlition team. Work by the team started at 7 AM two days before I was given keys to my home
I wasn't allowed to empty my refrigerator. Three weeks later it smelled like a dead body was in it and it had to be thrown away.
WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS?? Do I have any?
Is there something wrong with the picture??
Help-any advice is appreciated.
Maureen
Edit/Delete Message

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">