• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Newlyweds, how to file state taxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seanathan

What is the name of your state? MO/AL

All of my wife's income is from MO, before we were married in June of 2004. All of my income is from AL. We filed joint federal, but how in the world do I do this for state? Should we file separate for state? Since I'm an AL resident and she was a MO resident, did she become an AL resident when we got married? Filing joint AL on taxcut, it did ask something about deducting taxes paid to another state... Can I just deduct the amount paid to MO from our joint AL return, or do I still have to file her return w/ MO?

I'm lost... TIA.

sean

Snipes5

Each of you will be a part year resident in your respective states, and a part year resident in your current state.

You can file jointly, just be sure to exclude the MO income from AL, and the AL income from MO. Each state has an adjustment form to do this.

If this sounds like to much for you, just pay a pro to do it for you.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">