• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Advise Asap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdpx4

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My son is 18 - his girlfriend is 17. Last week he up and moved in with her and her mother and her mother's new husband with their consent. He is sleeping on the sofa bed. My husband and I are against this and have told him he is always welcome back home, but he did it anyway.

This morning he showed up with the girlfriend and they told us her mom and step-dad came home last night obviously drunk and who knows what else and engaged in a violent argument. The threat of stabbing was made, so the girlfriend immediately called police.

The police showed up and arrested the stepdad but no one knows why. The mom was told she would have to appear in court on some misdemeanor drug charges at a later date, but was not arrested and taken to jail.

The mom, after police left, began yelling and fighting with her daughter, accusing her of getting everyone in trouble. This girl does not know what her mom is charged with, what the stepdad is charged with, but she does admit they have used drugs in the past and get drunk often and fight, not this bad.

My question really is this: my son is "staying there" - can he get in trouble for visiting a common nuisance or anything? What do I do now - how can I make him move out of there before he gets in trouble for being in wrong place at wrong time?

Also, the girl feels unwanted by the mom. We don't want her living here at all. She has aunts and grandparents, but doesn't want to go to them. Is there anything we can or should do? We don't believe our son is using drugs, both kids swear they never used. Please help though!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Your son is an adult and you can't MAKE him do anything. The girl.... she's underage and is legally under the control of her parents. Maybe the best bet would be for her to call her father and see if he's willing to take her in.

jdpx4

Thanks Stealth, but unfortunately her real dad has had no contact with her or her mom for more than 10 years now, or that's what she told us. I just wish our son would open his eyes and get out while he can - he's a good looking boy who could definitely find a better class of girlfriend whose mom and stepdad aren't dope fiends.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">