• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated due to Coprorate restructuring w/ no notic

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobru

What is the name of your state? MA

I worked for a nationwide company for a bit under 5 months. I was a salaried employee with benefits. At the very end of the day on Saturday (I worked 6 days/wk) I was informed by the project manager that there was a "corporate restructure" going on; and that my services were no longer required. No notice whatsoever, no severance pay, no nothing. This company has a bad rep, judging from the research I've done on the internet; and does this stuff all the time.

In the meantime, my house is in jeopardy, I've lost out on work I could have had, had I known what they were going to do; and I don't know what's going to happen to my insurance coverage.

Do you think I have any recourse?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Based on the info in your post, no.

Except in very specific circumstances (and you have not provided any information that would suggest that these circumstances apply) there is no legal obligation on the part of the employer to provide you with notice; nor is severance required by law.

Unless you have a valid reason to believe that they knew before they hired you five months ago that they would be restructuring and eliminating your position, they are not responsible for other opportunities you may have missed. Just so you know, I have personally seen corporate reconstructions conceived of, planned and put into operation in FAR less than five months.

It's an unfortunate occurance but nothing in your post suggests that your employer has violated any laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">