• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consent to Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

77GLADS

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
My ex-wife and I have decided that for the best of our daughter to let her husband adopt her. Our daughter wants this because she feels strange that her mother and brother have a different last name than her. I received this "Consent To Adoption" today and cannot understand the last paragraph. It states that "upon entry of an Order of Adoption, I shall be divested of all legal rights, including the right of inheritance from or throughthe adopted child under the statutes of dissent and distribution of the state of West Virginia, or any other state in which the child may reside, and shall be divested of all obligations in respect to the adopted child, and that the adopted child shallbe free from all legal obligations, including obedience and maintenance, with respect to me."
My question is does this mean that my child support to her ends?, plus I became ill from service in the Persian Gulf and owe arrears, does this get wiped off the slate or do I continue to pay the arrears?
Thanking you in advance.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Arrears remain due unless Mom waives them (and if they're due to the state for benefits they paid Mom/child - Mom cannot waive them). Your CS obligation will end when the child is adopted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">