• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ending SSI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RE53

What is the name of your state? Florida
My husband and I were seprated in 1998. Since I am disabled I applied for SSI to help with our son which I received. Now we have reconciled since last fall. SSI is asking for all kinds of bank info and such. We would just like to end this since our income is back above the limit. Will we get in trouble for the last few months or have to pay back our 10 year old son's medical expenses since he was on Medicaid? What should our next step be?

bjl1105

RE53 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida
My husband and I were seprated in 1998. Since I am disabled I applied for SSI to help with our son which I received. Now we have reconciled since last fall. SSI is asking for all kinds of bank info and such. We would just like to end this since our income is back above the limit. Will we get in trouble for the last few months or have to pay back our 10 year old son's medical expenses since he was on Medicaid? What should our next step be?
More info is needed. First you say you are disabled and filed for SSI. Then you ask if you have to pay back your son's Medicaid expenses? Who is on SSI? Your spouse's assets and income will affect your SSI and/or your son's SSI benefits. You can terminate your SSI benefits at any time by signing a statement that you want to terminate the benefits and giving a specific date (do not state that you want to WITHDRAW....then you would have to repay all benefits back to date they began). Terminating them is from the date you select forward. They will still need info regarding husband's income and assets from month he returned to determine if you (or your son) were overpaid. If you had notified them timely, they would have stopped all benefits timely..so an overpayment as probebly occurred. Most likely, all you would have to repay is any cash benefits you received.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">