• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate house sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TABBY411

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My Mother passed away in April, 2004 and we just sold her house for $115,000 and the whole estate is worth less than $225,000. We received a federal id number for the estate so that my SS # nor her SS # is used for the checking account or anything else. The closing company used the federal id number for the 1099-S.

Is there any tax implications on the sale and will I have to file a return for this next year. I am fairly sure that there are no taxes involved in the estate because of the low value but I am not sure about this 1099-S and what it may require me to do as far as filing or maybe even tax. It was sold at below appraised value but I don't believe we can take a capital loss since there are no taxes involved as far as I know. Does this sound correct? Thanks

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">