• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement check in 3 names

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ken44ny

What is the name of your state?New Yrok

My soon to be Ex wife and I were both named in her slip and fall law suit. I found out, by accident, that it was recently settled and the insurance company issued a check to the lawyer with both of our names as well as the lawyer's name on it. I was never asked to agree to the amount and I am concerned that my Ex is trying to keep the entire settlement for herself. Since My name was also on the check, don't I have to sign some sort of release for it to be cashed? She can be very calculating and devious and I have serious concerns. I have tried to contact the lawyer but he will not return my calls which makes me more worried! Is there any way I can be removed from this settlement at this stage? I hope she hasn't signed my name to anything but it wouldn't surprise me if she did. I can't ask her because I would not believe anything she says. Please let me know what I need to do to make sure this ends up legal and fair.
Thanks for your time,
Kenny

stephenk

How much do you feel you are entitled to as part of your ex-wife's slip and fall case? Were you and your wife both represented by the same attorney? If yes, you were aware a lawsuit had been filed? What injury did you suffer?

ken44ny

I was not injured, I was responsible for taking care of her and HER newborn baby for a year while she recovered (we were separated and living apart prior to the injury). The total claim was for $40,000 and I think I am due a few thousand. Yes I was aware of the law suit, and yes it is the same attorney for both of us, but all information about it went with her when she moved after recovering.
thanks
Kenny

stephenk

Is the baby also yours?

What agreement did you and she enter into regarding payment for you watching her and the kid?

Are you willing to continue with the lawsuit on your own if you don't sign the check?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">