• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maryland statute costing me 275,000

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vegaman

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I was divorced in California in 1996 and court ruled that they could not divide property fund because they did not have jurisdiction. My spouse remarried and relocated to Maryland and statute FL8-212 says that in order for them to divide property for a foreign divorce one of us must have been a resident of Maryland when the divorce started.

Is there anything that I can do? I believe this is violating my due process rights but I am not sure.
How do I sue a state? Or do I sue my spouse anyway and say that the state statute is unconstitutional.

Help!

stephenk

"I was divorced in California in 1996 and court ruled that they could not divide property fund because they did not have jurisdiction."

Where is the property fund located? Who controls the fund presently?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">