• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired after filing a complaint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oilm

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I recently filed a complaint against a coworker. I was placed on admin leave w/o pay. The offending employee was allowed to work. 1 week later I was fired.. Is this legal? I understand I work in an AT-WILL state, but isnt this a clear case of a retaliatory firing.. This is all after I sent a letter to the Pres. informing him of what was going on, including policies that were not followed.

My employer also contacted my wifes boss (we did work in my wifes building) who is a reg. property man. and gave her details of my situation with there company then proceeds to explain how my wife is unprofessional. All this without any documentation or any prior complaints.
Isn't that slander?

Please help

Beth3

Ditto to purple's question. In addition:

My employer also contacted my wifes boss (we did work in my wifes building) who is a reg. property man. and gave her details of my situation with there company then proceeds to explain how my wife is unprofessional. All this without any documentation or any prior complaints.
Isn't that slander?
No. (a) I doubt telling your wife what happened constituted "broadcasting it to an audience," (b) relating the facts of a situation and his opinion is not slander, and (c) I doubt you were professionally damaged by his informing your wife of the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">