• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this rediculous or normal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nagol818

What is the name of your state?PA

This is being handled by attorneys but I was just wondering your views and experiences in a situation like this.

My mother was married to a man for the last 3 years of their 8 year relationship-14 years ago. My mom kicked him out after the 3 years of marriage. Neither of them ever bothered to get a divorce and, speaking from my mother's point of view, it's because she never wanted to bother with it. I don't know his reason for waiting although I will take an educated guess and say it's because he was hoping that if anything ever happened to her he could reap the financial rewards because they were still married....millions of dollars! Anyway, they are both in the same type of business. My mother has been extremely successful but he has not done well for himself. He has been in this type of business a little longer than she has and he gives himself credit for her success even though the financial success only happened after she kicked him out. After 14 years of "separation" she filed for divorce and he sought alimony on the grounds of a messy house and more specifically, our dog pooping in the family room and also her 15 year old teenager, me. I hated him and didn't hide it. There are probably more technical words that he used to seek alimony but the bottomline is the messy house and me as a teen. The hearing took well over an hour and his attorney kept questioning about the poop and me. The hearing took place with an attorney(don't know what they are called) instead of a judge. The "attorney" ruled in my mother's exhusband's favor and awarded him $2100 per month in alimony. He stated that he cannot work due to diabetes and has been living off of his 1st wife for all these years and has worked here and there when he could. My mother appealed and the ruling was overturned in her favor. Then he appealed again and we are now awaiting the hearing which my mother's attorney told her would be well over a year.

Is this type of situation and outcome normal?? I know absolutely nothing about alimony.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">