• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My liability for city worker on my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N2baja

What is the name of your state? California
Hello! My question is regarding my liability if a city worker is injured while on my property. We've had a section of our back bank, which is directly above a storm drain easement, collapse due to the recent rains. If a city worker, coming to inspect or work on this collapse should slip and fall, will I be liable? Thank you!

jity

N2baja said:
What is the name of your state? California
Hello! My question is regarding my liability if a city worker is injured while on my property. We've had a section of our back bank, which is directly above a storm drain easement, collapse due to the recent rains. If a city worker, coming to inspect or work on this collapse should slip and fall, will I be liable? Thank you!
Short answer would be no, UNLESS you had prior knowledge of a potential hazard and you did nothing to prevent the potential injury of another person. But then, they would have to prove that you knew about it (prior knowledge). Of course you could shift your liability towards the state/city on their defect. Workers Compensation will pay for his injuries, I doubt the state would bring action against you. Don’t always believe that he fell on my property rule.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">