• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099 Contractor expenses paid by employer: CGB asked me to repost in tax law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jcgoldy

What is the name of your state? indiana

I was a 1099 contractor for 1/2 of 2004. When I incurred any expenses the employer paid them back to me. However when they did this they included it into my end of the year 1099. When I had my taxes done the tax preparer said that my meals and entertainment expenses, which were paid in full by the employer, were only eligible for a 50% tax deduction. Is this correct? If this is correct why does the employer pay me in full for the expenses put it into my total pay for my 1099 and then I can only claim 1/2 the expense on my return?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

Sam111

Yes, the company can do that. They probably have a non-accountable reimbursement plan.

I guess the IRS's logic for deducting only 50% of meals is that you had to eat anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">