• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confidentiality disclosure by government agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeffostevens

What is the name of your state? Occurred in New Jersey

In July 2004, I called a report in to NJ's Dept of Youth and Services regarding drug usage in the child's primary home. Before I told the person I spoke with on the hotline anything, I asked if my identity would remain confidential. I proceeded to call in the report.

I was contacted shortly thereafter by a DYFS social worker. Again, I asked and was told that they couldn't divulge that information to anyone, especially the accused and the accused's lawyers (if it came down to that). In good faith, I believed her.

In December during a pre-hearing concerning the reported matter (there was an additional call placed to DYFS unrelated to mine but they were never able to substantiate the source), the defendent's lawyer tricked the DYFS lawyer into revealing that I had called the report in.

Upon finding that out, things changed in both the investigation and outcome of the case as well as for me. Because of my relationship with the accused, things became very strained and uncomfortable. Even as of yesterday during the court hearing, the caseworker told me she couldn't believe that her boss had disclosed that information and that it must've put me in a very bad situation.

My question is - did DYFS (NJ) violate my rights by disclosing confidential information? There was no subpeona or court order for my name to be released. Second, what actions can I take concerning this? If I can take any at all, what kind of lawyer would I need to discuss it with?

Thank you for any input...

HomeGuru

jeffostevens said:
What is the name of your state? Occurred in New Jersey

In July 2004, I called a report in to NJ's Dept of Youth and Services regarding drug usage in the child's primary home. Before I told the person I spoke with on the hotline anything, I asked if my identity would remain confidential. I proceeded to call in the report.

I was contacted shortly thereafter by a DYFS social worker. Again, I asked and was told that they couldn't divulge that information to anyone, especially the accused and the accused's lawyers (if it came down to that). In good faith, I believed her.

In December during a pre-hearing concerning the reported matter (there was an additional call placed to DYFS unrelated to mine but they were never able to substantiate the source), the defendent's lawyer tricked the DYFS lawyer into revealing that I had called the report in.

Upon finding that out, things changed in both the investigation and outcome of the case as well as for me. Because of my relationship with the accused, things became very strained and uncomfortable. Even as of yesterday during the court hearing, the caseworker told me she couldn't believe that her boss had disclosed that information and that it must've put me in a very bad situation.

My question is - did DYFS (NJ) violate my rights by disclosing confidential information? There was no subpeona or court order for my name to be released. Second, what actions can I take concerning this? If I can take any at all, what kind of lawyer would I need to discuss it with?

Thank you for any input...
**A: what does it really matter? The bottomline is you are protecting the child. Isn't that all that really matters?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">