• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

themanns

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Ohio

I have a cousin who has two children and has lost custody of them because of neglect. She is pregnant again. My husband and I would like to take the new baby (with her consent obviously), but don't know where to begin. Eventually we would like to adopt the baby, but don't even know how to begin the custody process. We would obviously like to do this with as little expense as possible. What is your advice?

S

seniorjudge

themanns said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Ohio

I have a cousin who has two children and has lost custody of them because of neglect. She is pregnant again. My husband and I would like to take the new baby (with her consent obviously), but don't know where to begin. Eventually we would like to adopt the baby, but don't even know how to begin the custody process. We would obviously like to do this with as little expense as possible. What is your advice?
You need to hire the best family law attorney you can find.

This is no time to look for a way to do it on the cheap.

You're talking about a lifetime commitment here; you do NOT want this to get screwed up.

You cannot fill out forms you find on the internet; it must be done right.

themanns

You are absolutly right. We do want to do this the right way. How do we know if it is a GOOD lawyer or not? What types of things should we look for or questions should we ask? Thanks

S

seniorjudge

themanns said:
You are absolutly right. We do want to do this the right way. How do we know if it is a GOOD lawyer or not? What types of things should we look for or questions should we ask? Thanks
Ask around.

Go to the courthouse and ask the court clerk where they do adoptions if they will give you the names of adoption lawyers. They may not since it may look like they are referring you, which is a no-no, but which is often ignored.

Ask people who have adopted who they used.

Contact an adoption support group.

themanns

Thank you.

Another question:
If we start the paperwork ASAP what are the odds we can take the baby home right from the hospital? I would hate to have it go home with the bio mom and be neglected untill we can recieve it, even if it is only a few months.

S

seniorjudge

themanns said:
Thank you.

Another question:
If we start the paperwork ASAP what are the odds we can take the baby home right from the hospital? I would hate to have it go home with the bio mom and be neglected untill we can recieve it, even if it is only a few months.
I don't know the intricacies of your adoption laws; you really should ask a lawyer these questions.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">