• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my husbands and my rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paintlady57

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Ohio
My daughter and son in law have split up several times in the last three years. He gets mad at her and throws her out. Then wants her to come back. They fight in front of the children, ages 5 and 3. The last fight , we had to call the police. He threatened to throw her down the steps.
As for my daughter. She will not clean house, cook meals,etc. The kids can go days without baths & wear the same clothes for days. They share a room& they do not have any sheets on thier beds, they sleep directly on the mattress with just a blanket. We have beds for them and their own rooms. When they come to stay with us, they have told us that they have had chips or cookies for breakfast. I have taken care of them up to 25 days in a month. I make sure they have meals and are bathed. My grand daughter needs dental work and I have been after my daughter for over a year to get her in. She finally called the dentist today. My daughter calls them names. She has even told them they are stupid. She yells at them often. She has had two affairs and doesn't seem to think it's a bad thing. I feel she is in need of mental help. She is pregnant for another baby, and it scares me that she will either not take care of it or make my 5 year old grand daughter take care of it. The kids like being with us. My question is this. What are our rights as grandparents? Can we take them and get guardianship of them? What about the baby? How do we handle the parents? I don't want to get childrens services involved, and we DO NOT want them put in foster care! Thank You for any help!

Last edited:

LdiJ

paintlady57 said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Ohio
My daughter and son in law have split up several times in the last three years. He gets mad at her and throws her out. Then wants her to come back. They fight in front of the children, ages 5 and 3. The last fight , we had to call the police. He threatened to throw her down the steps.
As for my daughter. She will not clean house, cook meals,etc. The kids can go days without baths & wear the same clothes for days. They share a room& they do not have any sheets on thier beds, they sleep directly on the mattress with just a blanket. We have beds for them and their own rooms. When they come to stay with us, they have told us that they have had chips or cookies for breakfast. I have taken care of them up to 25 days in a month. I make sure they have meals and are bathed. My grand daughter needs dental work and I have been after my daughter for over a year to get her in. She finally called the dentist today. My daughter calls them names. She has even told them they are stupid. She yells at them often. She has had two affairs and doesn't seem to think it's a bad thing. I feel she is in need of mental help. She is pregnant for another baby, and it scares me that she will either not take care of it or make my 5 year old grand daughter take care of it. The kids like being with us. My question is this. What are our rights as grandparents? Can we take them and get guardianship of them? What about the baby? How do we handle the parents? I don't want to get childrens services involved, and we DO NOT want them put in foster care! Thank You for any help!
Without getting children's services involved your chances of getting anywhere are slim. Basically in order for you to have any chance at custody or guardianship you have to prove BOTH parents unfit....that is really tough to do without the help/support of children's services.

paintlady57

If childrens services get involved, will they let us take the children or put them in foster care? We want the kids with us. We don't want them taken away and put in a foster home with strangers. My daughter claims they can't divorce until the baby is born, is this true? Also, she claims she doesn't want to be with him, but keeps going back. We are afraid they'll get into another fight, and something bad will happen. Can we refuse to let the children return home with her?

BelizeBreeze

paintlady57 said:
If childrens services get involved, will they let us take the children or put them in foster care? We want the kids with us. We don't want them taken away and put in a foster home with strangers. My daughter claims they can't divorce until the baby is born, is this true? Also, she claims she doesn't want to be with him, but keeps going back. We are afraid they'll get into another fight, and something bad will happen. Can we refuse to let the children return home with her?
Sure you can. And you can both go to jail for kidnapping.

If you don't want children's services involved then this forum has nothing else to tell you.

paintlady57

OH NO! We have NO intention on kidnapping!!!! God No!!!! Just don't want the grandchildren to end up in foster care. I was just concerned that if they were involved, our ages would be held against us.

LdiJ

paintlady57 said:
OH NO! We have NO intention on kidnapping!!!! God No!!!! Just don't want the grandchildren to end up in foster care. I was just concerned that if they were involved, our ages would be held against us.
You have more to worry about than just your ages. If you call children's services, and they find the case "unfounded" what do you think your daughter's reaction is going to be? It may well be the best thing to do, but you need to be fully prepared for the consequences.

pamoore

Wouldn't you rather have your grandkids in foster care and safe than in a situation that could harm them both physically and mentally? Child services work for the best interest of the children and do their best to place children with a family member if at all possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">