• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can your company's advertiser get you fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rueiwoqp

What is the name of your state?A very close of mine is TX (call him Bob) was fired recently by his company. It's a company that relies almost exclusively on advertisers to make money. Well, one of their advertisers is a bar/club. Bob was kicked out of there a while back for some drunken buffoonery. Nothing serious at all, basically he spilled a drink (supposedly on accident, we'll probably never know for sure) on the manager when he was jacked up for being a little too wild. Anyway Bob was asked to leave and did, and the whole thing stopped there. No cops, no fight, no nothing. Well unfortunately Bob is kind of a popular guy and it turns out while the manager was getting him kicked out, he heard from someone where he worked and said something to one of Bob's friends along the lines of "I'll get that dude fired, he's a jackass."

Fast forward a month or so. The manager calls Bob's company and says his bar will never advertise with the company again if they do not fire him. The company fires Bob, telling him that after consulting with their lawyers they think it is the best course of action. Bob's got a great record with this company, something that could probably be verified very easily if need be. They were very amicable and are paying for a few weeks salary. No hard feelings. Bob, however is heartbroken. He saw this job as the start of something he would like to stick with as a career and thinks the company had no reason to fire him. Did they? Is it worth pursuing something along the lines of wrongful termination? Thanks in advance for the help and let me know if you need more info. I'm obviously not a legal mind so I probably left out some details...

Last edited:

pattytx

"Wrongful termination" has a legal meaning, and this situation does not rise to it.

It was perfectly legal for Bob's company to fire him. The fact that Bob had good reviews in the past and was popular is irrelevant. He did something stupid at a client's business. The concept of "at will employment" is in play here, which means that the employee can quit at any time with no reason, and the employer can fire the employee at any time for any reason. The only time the employee would have any legal recourse as a result of such firing would be if he was fired for an illegal reason, such as gender, race, engaging in a protected activity, etc. This was not an illegal reason.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Agreed. It would be a total waste of time to pursue this as a wrongful term, since it does not come even remotely close to meeting the legal definition.

Bob should be a little more careful about drinking while with company vendors and/or advertisers in the future. It was perfectly legal to fire him for this.

HomeGuru

And if he wants to make a carreer in that type of industry, I am sure that there are other companies to work for.
Bob is a slob. Tell him to clean up his act. Maybe quit drinking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">