• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emergency help needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

littlewolf

indianaWhat is the name of your state?

hello I am the father of two divorced and seeking advice my ex-wife is trying to change my kids last name without me signing off on them is it possible for her to do this I pay child support and try to make every visit I am allowed to have with them what advice can anyone give me and what can I do to put a stop to this?

misslawli

She will have to petition the court to change thier names, and you will be served before hand. Show up to the court sate at all costs!! (well almost all ;) ) You should also have to send a response back to the court after you are served.

ksjane

Not certain about Indiana but I know that in Kansas you CANNOT change a minors last name as long as the other parent goes to the court hearing and objects. UNLESS the exwife can prove to the judge that changing the childs last name would be in the best interest of the child. Which in your case, as long as you are up to date on payments and taking care of your fatherly responsiblities, you shouldn't worry. Good luck!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">