• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unusual but urgent question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ronnie45

I have a question and it is very unusual.

I know an acquantience who claims to be an attorney. He has helped me out in the past by giving me the name of a good attorney who was able to get me out of a legal jam successfully.

Anyhow, a couple days ago I called and wanted to thank him. I then tell him some details like having to pay rent. Then he asked me about my income taxes and I said I am still paying off those from a year ago.

So the guy said he will come over to my apartment to "take care" of it so I don't have to pay this months rent (even though the apartment complex requires it as I haven't given my notice to leave) and then says he will call the IRS to get it so I won't have to pay any income tax from the previous year (he said because I didn't have much income that he could work it out with them).

So, he took my check and went and cashed it right away and didn't talk to the apartment complex. That is bad enough, but he had me sign a tax form (I didn't see what the form number was) and took my W-2 which has my social security number on it. (He said he needed my SS# to talk to the IRS.

I only agreed to this because he had helped me out so much in the past and he was an acquantience.

I called my family and we are all pretty upset. Couldn't this guy file a fraudulant tax return say claiming 11 dependents and then send it off to the IRS and collect a large refund for himself under my name?

I am really worried right now about it. I plan on going to the IRS Friday to let them know this whole crazy situation.

PS...The only positive thing he did was return my phone call. But by that time I had already paid the apartment complex. I am not really worried now as much about the money I gave him as I am about the IRS. The very LAST thing I need is to ever get into more legal trouble! He can keep the money as long as I am clear of the IRS.

Any thoughts or advice? Strange situation I know.....

Thanks.

Just a further elaboration......when he did get back to me, he said that he stopped by the manager's office to discuss the rent, but the person who he needed to talk to wasn't there so he had planned on checking back today. I should also mention he was the one who called me back and not the other way around as I first mentioned.

I couldn't wait until today because it is the third of the month and rent has to be in or else risk large late fees and he didn't call me back in a timely manner.

I just can't see how an attorney can get you out of paying rent, or especially taxes! I mean, I am no lawyer but it doesn't make sense.

Sorry for rambling, but it is a big concern....

Snipes5

The guy is full of crap. Go to the nearest IRS office immediately so they can flag your account.

Contact all three credit bureaus and check your credit reports, and do this on a regular basis.

If you are uncomfortable contacting the IRS on your own, seek out an Enrolled Agent to help you. Ask to see their enrollment card to verify their status, if you feel uneasy about this.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">