• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

piscesblueness

What is the name of your state?
West Virginia

This is a rather difficult situation to explain, but I really think it's worth fighting for!

My wife was a bridal consultant for a well known retailer here in WV. In the twenty-plus years of doing business, it had never been even close to being #1 in the bridal department against all its sister stores. Matter of fact, it was usually hovering around the bottom of the list.

Within six months of assuming the position, my wife brought that store to #1 and kept it there consistently. She received countless customer compliments and accolades for the hard work she performed day in and day out. She also selflessly shared the rewards she received with her coworkers.

And here's what happened to her:

From day one, she had to file a sexual harrassment complaint against another coworker for showing her a nude photograph of another woman (this was IMMEDIATELY after the sexual harrassment course they took)

She had to file another complaint because rumors were being spread around the store about her living some sort of sexual deviant lifestyle. In addition to this, her manager knew of the rumors and discouraged her from taking any action. She was told to just let it "blow over".

And finally, after being publicly humiliated and physically manipulated by her boss in front of coworkers and bridal customers; she filed a formal complaint with the General Manager that listed everything she has had to endure over the last ten months.

The results? They brought her in and terminated her. They said that she had broken the rules regarding a coupon that she had used which resulted in a "direct profit loss" by the company.

They also said that she had used an incorrect bar code for one of her customers that resulted in her position being directly benefited from.

Now, here's the part I need help with:

They didn't actually research the bar code issue, because, according to my wife, they would've found out that she had been given permission by the regional bridal manager to use it. Yet, they never bothered.

They have had other employees who used coupons which "resulted in a direct profit loss" for the company and these people were never fired. They still work there.

To make matters more interesting; this store has an extensive record of wreckless management and unprofessional behavior -which my wife can prove. (i.e. private employee information being left out and open to the public)

So in short, my wife files a legitimate complaint against her boss and they bust their arse to dig up stuff on my wife to get HER fired instead.

I used to work for this company also, so I know first hand what goes on there.

Please help!!!!!

Beth3

From day one, she had to file a sexual harrassment complaint against another coworker for showing her a nude photograph of another woman (this was IMMEDIATELY after the sexual harrassment course they took) She had to file another complaint because rumors were being spread around the store about her living some sort of sexual deviant lifestyle. In addition to this, her manager knew of the rumors and discouraged her from taking any action. She was told to just let it "blow over". And finally, after being publicly humiliated and physically manipulated by her boss in front of coworkers and bridal customers That's not sexual harassment. It may have been completely inappropriate but by definition, sexual harassment is less favorable treatment that occurs BECAUSE of one's gender. Nothing in your post indicates any of this happened because of your wife's gender.

However...making a complaint of SH is protected, even if the complainant is incorrect in their assumption that the behavior violated the law. If the reason your wife was terminated was a pretext and the real reason was that she lodged a SH compaint, then she should speak to an employment law attorney and/or file a complaint with your State's equal rights division or the EEOC.

piscesblueness

physical manipulation

her boss aggressively grabbed her by her arm and moved her because, in her boss's opinion, she wasn't standing correctly for the picture they were about to take; and in doing so, my wife almost lost her balance and fell. (My wife used to be a clothing model, so I think she would have a better idea how to stand for a picture)

As for the SH complaint... I don't think she filed it as SH, she just went to her boss and to HR and told them what had happened and that it made her very uncomfortable. They questioned the guy who did it and, of course he lied and said he didn't. They had enough evidence to prove that he did and that he lied about it. -but oddly enough, he never came back to work after they questioned him. There should be a physical document on record with them to back this up.

Thanks for the feedback!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">