• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seizure of house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Geraldzajd

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state?
TN
Just got a letter from irs that I owed them back taxes and they would start aggressive collection activities that would include the seizure of property. My wife inherited a house 2 years into our marriage, the house is in her name, can the irs seize the house? I don't own any property in my name.

JETX

Geraldzajd said:
My wife inherited a house 2 years into our marriage, the house is in her name, can the irs seize the house? I don't own any property in my name.
Was this tax debt due to a joint account that she signed?? If so, then yes, her assets could be subject to siezure also.
If not, then the IRS can't seize her property as an inheritance by one spouse is not a marital asset. However, it could be possible that you have accrued an equity share in the property since it was acquired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">