• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non compete clause valid when you're fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

darthvedder

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi,

I worked for this company for 7 months. In seven months I received 4 new contracts. Each for less money and more work. I was fired for complaining (bad mouthing management) about how they were taking away sales from me without telling me, in an email to another employee (a friend) and they read our email. They fired me. I have a non compete clause (sell same or simular products) that says that I can't work in any state that they do business in (they do business in every state) for one year. I think I'm going to get a job offer from a simular company... should I be worried. I don't have any connections from them, they supplied all of my leads.

Last edited:

Beth3

I have a non compete clause that says that I can't work in any state that they do business in (they do business in every state) for one year. Surely that's not what it says. If it does, that means you can't work AT ALL for 12 months in any kind of occupation.

I think I'm going to get a job offer from a simular company... should I be worried. You're going to have to show the document to an attorney. Only he/she can advise you whether it's a valid non-compete after reading the agreement. The precise wording is critical.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Darth, if you are asking whether there is a law that automatically invalidates a non-compete when you are fired, there isn't. Neither is there a law that enforces one. It depends entirely upon the exact wording of the agreement. We have not seen the agreement; we cannot interpret it. You are going to have to show the agreement to a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">