• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pennsylvania Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slobach44

What is the name of your state? PA

Hi. I am 7 1/2 months pregnant and considering adoption. Can anyone tell me the step by step PA laws involved in adoption or direct me in the right direction to find out information? I don't know anything at all about it.

Some questions if you happen to know the answers-
Is the child adopted right away to a family? I am a caucasian woman in her
30s. Does that help or hinder?
Do I choose the family or an agency?
How do I find an agency?
Do I have to pay anything?
Do I have contact with the child and/or family that adopts my child in the
future?
What say does the bio father have in this?

You get the idea.
Thanks for the help in advance.

nextwife

You may select the agency, and the adoptive parents. Open adoptions are more frequent these days. Your age is irrelevant- except that there are certain risks associated with pregnancies after age 35. Personally, I hated the idea of "marketing" myself and my hubby (ages 44 and 52 at the time of adopting our daughter) in order to become parents, so we did not even try domestic adoption, and did an orphanage adoption.

I do not believe you will incur any cost. AS a matter of fact, I believe that the adoptive parents are allowed to also cover the medical expenses related to the prenancy/childbirth. And they will cover the legal costs. If you want your own attorney (which is a good idea) then it appears that the adoptive parents may pay for that as well.

AS to finding an agency you are comfortable with, ask and talk to many people. I am on a number of online weblists/support groups for adoptive parents, and many of them maintain feedback on agencies- their responsiveness, professionalism, reputation, honesty, etc. But, again, these are primarilly international adoption, so need specialized knowledge and contacts. Likely there are similar sites for domestic adoption.

DEpending upon your faith, you may want to start by contacting some established, reputable agencies such as Lutheran Family Services, Jewish Family Services, etc. who can likely refer you.

http://www.adoptionsolutions.com/general/state laws/pa_law.htm

Pennsylvania Adoption
Statute Summary

Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes Title 23, Sections 2101 to 2910, and Title 55, Sections 33501.1 to 3350.14 (1997)

Who can Adopt?
Any individual may adopt.

Who Can Be Adopted?
Any individual may be adopted, regardless of his age or residence.

Consent to Adoption
Consent is required of the following parties:
1. the parents of the adoptee, who are under 18 years of age;
2. the husband, if he was the husband of the natural mother at any time within 1 year prior to the birth of the adoptee;
3. the spouse of the adopting parent, unless the spouse joins in the adoption;
4. the adoptee, if over 12 years of age;
5. the guardian of an incapacitated adoptee;
6. the guardian or anyone having custody of the adoptee whenever there is no parent whose consent is required.
7. If the adoptee is over 18 years of age, or if the adoptee is under 18 and has no living parents, then the court may decide that only adoptee's consent is required.
The husband of the natural mother, who is proven not to be the adoptee's father, is not required to consent.

Consent is not required when parental rights have been involuntarily terminated (for example, due to repeated and continuous abuse, neglect, or failure to care for the child).

Consent cannot occur until 72 hours after the birth of the child. Consent may only be revoked prior to the final decree of adoption or the termination of parental rights, whichever occurs first.

Putative Father's Rights
A putative father may execute a consent to adoption at any time after receiving notice of the expected or actual birth of the child. If a putative father fails to file acknowledgment of paternity, appear at the adoption hearing, or file an objection, the court may enter a decree terminating parental rights of the putative father.

Confidentiality
All adoption records, and other papers shall be withheld from inspection except upon a court order. The adoptee, who is at least 18 years of age, or the adoptee's adoptive parents, if the adoptee is under 18 years of age, may request of the court information concerning the natural parents that will not reveal their identity. Upon such a request of an adoptee who is 18 years of age, or the adoptive parents, if the adoptee is under 18 years of age, the court or the agency which placed the adoptee may attempt to contact the natural parents to obtain their consent to release of their identity. Information shall only be released about parents that agree to the disclosure.

Permissible Fees
The adoption report shall include an itemized account of all money paid by adoptive parents. The following payments made by the adoptive parent to a third are permissible: Medical and hospital expenses incurred by the natural mother or on behalf of the child prior to adoption and reasonable expenses incurred by an agency for administrative costs and for counseling and training services to the adoptive parents. The court may also require the adoptive parents to pay for the legal fees of the biological parents, and the child's guardian ad litem, and counsel.

Place of Adoption Hearing
The adoption hearing can take place in the county where the adoptee's biological parents or the adoptive parents live, where the adoptee formerly lived, or where the child-placing agency that has custody is located.

Authority To Place Child
Any incorporated or unincorporated organization, society, institution, or other entity, public or voluntary, which may receive or provide for the care of children, supervised by the Department of Public Welfare, and providing adoption services in accordance with standards of the Department, has authority to place a child. An intermediary may act between the adoptive and natural parents to help arrange the adoption. The intermediary must file with the court, prior to the adoption, an affidavit containing a statement of fees and expenses, extensive information concerning the child, and other statutorily prescribed terms.

Relative Adoption
The preadoption report required of all adopting parents is not required when a relative or stepparent is adopting the child.

Special Circumstances
Whenever possible, the adopting parent shall be of the same religious faith as the natural parents of the adoptee.

Re-printed with permission from the National Adoption Information Clearinghouse.

Last edited:

slobach44

Thank You

Thank you for your assistance.

I am confused on a few things:
What is the difference between "domestic adoption" and "orphanage adoption?"
What is an "open adoption?"

So what happens when I'm in labor in the hospital? Do I have the baby and then they take it away like in the movies? Do I fill out paperwork there and say my goodbyes? I know I should contact an attorney about all of this and I certainly will. I was just wondering in advance what happens.

Someone told me that adoption takes 6 months but I read the info you gave me and it said 72 hours. Quite a difference in time if you ask me.

nextwife

slobach44 said:
Thank you for your assistance.

I am confused on a few things:
What is the difference between "domestic adoption" and "orphanage adoption?"
A "domestic" adoption is one in which the adoptive parents, the bioparents and the child are all in the United States. It could be a private adoption, or a foster child adoption, or an agency adoption.

An "orphanage" adoption is one type of international adoption. Our daughter had been living in an orphanage in Eastern Europe since shortly after birth until we adopted her at 25 months old, so we never had any dealings with the bioparents. We adopted directly from the orphanage.

slobach44 said:
What is an "open adoption?"
An adoption in which contact with the bioparent(s) is maintained.

slobach44 said:
So what happens when I'm in labor in the hospital? Do I have the baby and then they take it away like in the movies? Do I fill out paperwork there and say my goodbyes? I know I should contact an attorney about all of this and I certainly will. I was just wondering in advance what happens.

Someone told me that adoption takes 6 months but I read the info you gave me and it said 72 hours. Quite a difference in time if you ask me.
Well, the adoptive parents that I know who did domestic, newborn adoptions actually shared the prenatal visits and childbirth with the bioparent(s). They all shared the process together. I would believe that the child leaves the hospital with the adoptive parents.

This site has MANY links:

http://www.adoption.org/adopt/national-adoption-clearinghouse.php

Last edited:

slobach44

Putative Father's Rights
A putative father may execute a consent to adoption at any time after receiving notice of the expected or actual birth of the child. If a putative father fails to file acknowledgment of paternity, appear at the adoption hearing, or file an objection, the court may enter a decree terminating parental rights of the putative father.

What if I don't know who the father is? What happens then?

bononos

slobach44 said:
What is the name of your state? PA

Hi. I am 7 1/2 months pregnant and considering adoption. Can anyone tell me the step by step PA laws involved in adoption or direct me in the right direction to find out information? I don't know anything at all about it.

Some questions if you happen to know the answers-
Is the child adopted right away to a family? I am a caucasian woman in her
30s. Does that help or hinder?
Do I choose the family or an agency?
How do I find an agency?
Do I have to pay anything?
Do I have contact with the child and/or family that adopts my child in the
future?
What say does the bio father have in this?

You get the idea.
Thanks for the help in advance.
I was adopted in Pennsylvania at birth then moved.
It was through a great group called Genesis.
We were called Duncan babies as the woman who dealt with our adoptions, Mrs Duncan, took the girls in her own home until they gave birth.
We had picnics every year so we knew as soon as we could understand that we were adopted and got to know other kids and families.
It was I guess a closed adoption.
Look into them.
I have GREAT adoptive parents and we are friends with other families from the group.
They are all good people.
Mrs. Duncan has passed, but Genesis is still there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">