• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors mudslide caused my mudslide

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pmaxk

What is the name of your state? California. The back of the next door neighbors lot slide from the all the rain So Cal is having and caused 1/2 of my back lot to slide. The lot is empty and no plants or reinforcement has been done on the part that gave way. My lot has thick ivy and trees and is reinforced on 1/2 of the back wall, the only part that did not give way. I have a geo report stating that that lot is not graded to current codes and according to the report, it could become unstable if it became saturated. My lot would have been fine if his did not slide taking mine with it, So far it has ruined a section of my fence and mud is coming over my back retaining wall and the landscaping up above is in jeopardy. Who is responsible for fixing this mess the estimate I got today before more rain started was over $10,000. What should I do? Contact the city? Ower of the land is not returning my calls. Any ideas?

nextwife

pmaxk said:
What should I do? Any ideas?
Next time, buy here in WI. Our lots don't usually slide anywhere.

You will likely need to prove that the damage to your lot was not due to an Act Of G-D in order to successfully prevail in any action to recover for damages. Whatever you are able to EVENTUALLY recover, the owner is obviously not accepting any responsibilty, so you'd better figure that litigation will be necessary. Certainly check with your municipality and see if any funds for regrading are available through any state/fed agencies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">