• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threatening termination if we don't sign new policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aileneia

What is the name of your state? Alabama

Recently my publicly traded employer has proposed a new unifrom policy. They want us to all wear a suit each day, We mostly agree with this. They however, want us to sign a new policy that allows them to deduct $25.00 per pay period to equal $600.00 per year. They say they are going to pay half which means they supposedly contribute another $600.00. Many of us agree with the new proposed dress code but do not agree with them deducting this amount from oour salary's. We are willing to buy our own clothes to prevent them from potentially frofiting from us. They say anyone who refuses to sign the policy will be "left behind". We did not sign a uniform policy at hire only a dress code policy stating what was and was not acceptable attire for the office. They are saying this deduction will be for the duration of our employment. So for $1200 (they pay $600.00 ) we get 4 suits and 10 shirts. And they say we have to do this? I'm willing to buy my own and look exactly like others however, i fully believe I could do it cheaper. Can they fire me for this?
I have no idea about the laws.
thanks in advance for any help.
Ailene

pattytx

Alabama is an "at will employment" state and has no laws regarding the firing of employees, unless it is for a discriminatory reason; those reasons are defined here:
http://www.alalabor.state.al.us/FAQ.htm

Alabama also defers to federal for wage and hour regulations and has only a law regarding claims for unpaid wages. This is covered in the same FAQ listed above.

So, it appears that, not only are there no laws requiring that you authorize paycheck deductions (since federal law doesn't have any either), but there are no laws prohibiting the company from firing you if you do not authorize the deduction.

Sorry, Alabama is very weak on employment law and wage and hour regulations and protection.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">