• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Layoff due to lack of money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leichr

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I was employed by a Technical College for over 6 years and was laid off in January. The reasons I was given for this layoff was that there was declining student enrollment and thus lacking funds to keep me employed. It has now been just over a month since I was let go and I’m told that they are bringing someone in to replace me in that department. The catch to it is that this person they are bringing in is under the heading of a contractor although he will be working 40 hours per week. This seems like a slick way to get rid of me and I was wondering if I have any legal options in light of this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

pattytx

Perhaps the business needs have changed. Unless you were working under a collective bargaining agreement which states that laid-off employees are required to be called back first, you are probably out of luck.

Just because the person being brought in is working 40 hours does not automatically make him an employee, although if the new person is going to be doing the same thing you were doing, and you were properly classified as an employee (not an independent contractor), maybe the new person should be an employee as well. But there is nothing you can do about that.

Based on what you have stated in your post, I don't see that you have any legal recourse here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">