• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex husband casued my tax problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Subandera

What is the name of your state?Florida
I and my ex husband were divorced in 1999 (proceedings bagan in 1998) While getting divorced my attorney asked for tax documents. I could not produce them since I was thrown out of my residence and didn't have access to them. My now ex gave all kinds of stories... they were stored, he couldn't find them, etc etc. Finally my attorney asked if it was ok for her to get copies from the iRS and I said thats fine and signed the proper paper work. Come to find out, the reason my ex couldn't produce the documents was becasue they were never filed... he destroyed them instead of mailing them. 5 years worth. You ask how I didn't know... I was basically a prisoneer in my own house, not allowed to see the mail nor the finances. As soon as I was aware I filed the 5 years of taxes recreating info by getting w-2s and so forth. Needless to say I had to pay all the penalities interest etc. Original filing was in 1998 and becasue of my economic circumstances there is no way I will ever be able to pay the $30 000 they say I now owe with all of the add ons. I do now get refunds which are applied to the back taxes. I have heard there is a statute of limitations that would apply to me (I have heard 8 years and also heard 10 years). Either way the time is getting closer and I was wondering if there is statute of limitations where I will no longer be liable.

Also, I have sence remaried.... if I die will my new husband be liable for tax liability I incurred before we married?

Snipes5

Go see a tax professional about an Offer in Compromise.

The SOL begins to run when the return is filed. They have generally three years from when it was filed to assess you. They have TEN years after assessment to collect.

If you filed those suckers late, your SOL is nowhere near to running out for any of them. A competent professional should be able to get the penalties waived, since you had no reason to believe they hadn't been filed.

Snipes

Subandera

offer in compromise won't work

all were filed in 1998 when I found out they had not been filed.. so in 2008 I should be free? I did go to a tax "professional".... I got burned he took my $50 and did nothing at all, so now that I have been burned once I am leary of doing that again. How do I file as uncollectable? If I jsut sit in them for 3 more years they would have to let them go? I filed a offer in compromise several years ago... The IRS wanted more than I could pay like about $1000 per month if I remember correctly. I can't do that I am paying my ex $1400 per month child support, barely leaves enough for me to live on as it is.

What about my husband I have now? Would he be liable for any of that if I die before 2008? I didn't even know him then

Snipes5

If you hired some incompetent idiot, and all you lost was $50, that isn't bad at all.

Go find a COMPETENT Enrolled Agent, and get this taken care of.

Every H&R Block office has one, and they guarantee their work.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">