• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Insurance Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kelmartin702

What is the name of your state?NC :eek: Here is my situation, I have worked for one year, for a company owned by a corporation. My boss has recently informed me and the other employees that our workplace has been sold, meaning that it will no longer be corporately operated, but privately operated. In other words, our office was a small office and was not doing as well as other offices in larger cities. My manager will lose his job and so may other employees as this new owner says he is going to "lean down the office" (there are only 5 employees now.) Here is my problem, I am 5 mos. pregnant. Upon transition, I will lose my short-term disability and of course maternity leave under FMLA. This change will take place in three weeks, and I am wondering if I am eligible under NC state law to draw unemployment. Can I draw unemployment from the company that I worked for, since my job will no longer exist thru that company, and it is under no fault of my own. I am not being lazy, it is just that I am not in any position to bid for any position. I am getting bigger, and I don't feel like playing "Survivor" for an $8.00 an hour job when I can be paid the same amount for unemployment benefits.

pattytx

Being laid off (or the job being eliminated) almost always results in the granting of unemployment benefits. However, you do need to be physically able to work and looking for work in order to receive benefits. And the state is authorized to ask you for job search contacts (and they can check with those contacts) you made in any given week to continue qualifying.

You can read more about UI benefits in NC here:
http://www.ncesc.com/business/UI/UiClaims.asp

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">