• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

son in trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flalin

What is the name of your state?florida
My son was arrested today..he was charged with criminal mischief (he was apparently driving under the influence and ran down mailboxes and stop signs. drug paraphanila and possession of cocaine dust with intent..he is 18 years old and is his first offense..he had baggies with dust in them and a empty baggies found in trunk..how serious is this..what is he lookin at as far as minimum jail time? Will a lawyer help or should be go with public defender..we dont have alot of money.. Please help with any advice please

Knowledge315

Sorry man

Dude, I'm feel sooo sorry for you man, I live in NY and I'm 15, luckely I'm a minor because I was holding marijuana and neurontin (type of pills) for my friends and I went on a camping trip with school, and someone said I had it on me, I don't know how they know cuz I don't do drugs, but, the police found it all and luckely I havn't been charged for the marijuana, and the pills aren't narcotics so I'll be ok there as well, although, in New York if you even have TRACES of cocain or even a few sprinkles of it, it's LIFE, with NO TOLERANCE laws for drugs, you'll be AMAZINGLY lucky if your son ever get's out of Prison or Jail..........Just keep praying man...........Good luck.

`1NE

JETX

flalin said:
what is he lookin at as far as minimum jail time?
No one can answer that as it is entirely up to the court and/or prosecutor. It may be possible that he won't get jail at all (probation, community service, etc.)

Will a lawyer help or should be go with public defender.
If you can afford an attorney, that is the best counsel. If you can't, then the court will appoint a PD.

smutlydog

flalin said:
What is the name of your state?florida
My son was arrested today..he was charged with criminal mischief (he was apparently driving under the influence and ran down mailboxes and stop signs. drug paraphanila and possession of cocaine dust with intent..he is 18 years old and is his first offense..he had baggies with dust in them and a empty baggies found in trunk..how serious is this..what is he lookin at as far as minimum jail time? Will a lawyer help or should be go with public defender..we dont have alot of money. Please help with any advice please
Will a lawyer help or should be go with public defender
Although technically he can get jail time he probably will get probation.

In return for pleading guilty a plea bargain will be offered. If possible you want his lawyer to fight to keep this off his record once the probation is complete. If he is convicted of a felony, which may or may not be the case, he will be a marked man for life. Too me that's just as bad if not worse than going to prison.

This will put pressure on him to get the help he needs. You never know. This run in with the law may be what saves his life or perhaps somebody else’s. Luckily I didn't own a car at the age of 18 or I would probably be dead.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">