• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roomates accusing me doing drugs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

candylandisreal

What is the name of your state? California

I live in student housing (RnR Real Estate) for Brooks Inst. of Photography. My roomates have accused me of smoking pot and doing other drugs in the apartment and the landlord sent me an eviction letter. (After talking with her she is giving me a "2nd chance") but what I am concerned about is being accused of doing this illegal activity. I already have taken a urine test and going to take a hair test soon.

The real estate lady swears on her life that she saw pot and she didn't even search my things or the apartment for the other drugs because she "just took the girls's (roomates) word for it".

Is there anything I can do? I feel like my entire reputation has been ruined.

Thanks in advance,

Sarah

candylandisreal said:

I live in student housing (RnR Real Estate) for Brooks Inst. of Photography. My roomates have accused me of smoking pot and doing other drugs in the apartment and the landlord sent me an eviction letter. (After talking with her she is giving me a "2nd chance") but what I am concerned about is being accused of doing this illegal activity. I already have taken a urine test and going to take a hair test soon.

The real estate lady swears on her life that she saw pot and she didn't even search my things or the apartment for the other drugs because she "just took the girls's (roomates) word for it".

Thanks in advance,

Sarah
Did you pass the urine test?Do you smoke pot and other drugs? You never denied these accusations.Please give us more information.

chevy372

candylandisreal said:

Thanks in advance,

Sarah
Sarah, (which means princess, my daughter's name and it and she are beautiful). Keep the tests and sue the roomies for defamation of character. The only defense to this suit is the truth of the matter uttered by your roomies. Which in english is, if the statement they made is not true (that you smoked pot and did other drugs in the apt.), you win.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Can we start with what proof OP has that they did actually say, which she could present in court?

chevy372

stealth2 said:
Can we start with what proof OP has that they did actually say, which she could present in court?
Hey genius, that would be the landlady.....Where'd you go to law school....oh yeah What's the matter U

chevy372

stealth2 said:
...Hearsay...
We give them books we send them to school and they still come out illiterate. The landlady would not be hearsay. If the landlady said she overheard the roomies talking about it then it would be. But the landlady was the one who was in the conversation and therefore it is not hearsay. You mean to tell me when the cop is interrigating you, everything question he asks you, he can not testify to the response? How ludicous. Get a life there stealth2. Quit trying to act smart because you are not even close to being an idiot yet.

chevy372 said:
We give them books we send them to school and they still come out illiterate. The landlady would not be hearsay. If the landlady said she overheard the roomies talking about it then it would be. But the landlady was the one who was in the conversation and therefore it is not hearsay. You mean to tell me when the cop is interrigating you, everything question he asks you, he can not testify to the response? How ludicous. Get a life there stealth2. Quit trying to act smart because you are not even close to being an idiot yet.
OP still has not DENIED smoking the pot or doing the other drugs.Or whether they passed the test... :rolleyes:

chevy372

howamidoing said:
OP still has not DENIED smoking the pot or doing the other drugs.Or whether they passed the test... :rolleyes:
Very true and a point well taken howamidoing. By the way your doing fine.

candylandisreal

I'm totally sorry I forgot to tell you guys. I have never smoked pot or used any illegal drugs. Ever. So I am sure I will pass the urine test.

Even though the urine test goes back only 3-4 days and it's been about a week and a half, I read somewhere the a hair test goes back at least six months; so I will definitely have that done.

...should I take this to the authorities or what? ...I'm still not sure what to do...

thanks again,

sarah

chevy372

candylandisreal said:
....should I take this to the authorities or what? ...I'm still not sure what to do...
Hi Sarah,

No the authorities will do nothing, except maybe come give your roomies a H&S charge. (health and Saftey) The only way to proceed against the roomies is a TRO (Temporary Restraining Order) and this would have to be set on the regular motion calendar, as you have not been battered or assaulted. Or as I stated earlier, start a civil suit for the defamation of your character. The only defense to this charge is the truth of the matter. Another words if what your roomies stated to the landlord is true then you can sue them but they have a perfect defense, because what they said is true and therefore it is not defamation. If what your roomies said is false, then slander/defamation case is won. After judgment, you can attach their wages, bank accounts, list it with DMV in some states and they can't renew their drivers license, etc. There is really not enough here to even get a harassment suit going.

candylandisreal

Thank you so much chevy; I really appreciate all the time you have taken to help me. One more thing, do you think it is wise of me to start a case? If I do, I know I will win because I did nothing wrong, but I just don't want to be one of those sue-happy people... I suppose this is a dumb question to be asking you since the ultimate decision is mine, however do you think it is worth it to take it that far?

Thanks again,

Sarah

chevy372

candylandisreal said:
Thank you so much chevy; I really appreciate all the time you have taken to help me. One more thing, do you think it is wise of me to start a case? If I do, I know I will win because I did nothing wrong, but I just don't want to be one of those sue-happy people... I suppose this is a dumb question to be asking you since the ultimate decision is mine, however do you think it is worth it to take it that far?

Thanks again,

Sarah
Hi Sarah, Are you still living with these roomies? Are they your friends? If you file and then don't follow through, they may sue you for the cost of defending the defamation suit. My opinion, if the landlord has given you a second chance take it and start looking for a new place to live. Good Luck

candylandisreal

Since we signed a four month contract with RnR, I will have to stay another two months...but I did talk to her a week and a half ago and asked her if she could place me in another apartment but she still hasn't got back to me. (is not returning my phone calls which is really, really frusterating). I am not sure what I am going to do if she can't find another place for me to live, the last thing I want to do is spend another two miserable months with those girls and risk having my things stolen/and getting into more trouble.

From what I've heard, the landlord lady didn't even go through the legal procedures of evicting me. Apparently, she was supposed to give me thirty days to evict and only gave me six?! There are several other things that seem reeeeealllll fishy about the way she is doing things...but the main concern is living with them. I am just wondering if there is a way to somehow break the contract and get my money's back for the two months so I can get out of this RnR bull crap.

Someone also suggested that I should talk to a school counselor so that they are aware of the girls, RnR Real Estate, and the whole situation. I suppose it won't hurt to tell them will it?

Sarah

chevy372

candylandisreal said:
Appearantly, she was supposed to give me thirty days to evict and only gave me six?! There are several other things that seem reeeeealllll fishy about the way she is doing things...but the main concern is living with them. I am just wondering if there is a way to somehow break the contract and get my money's back for the two months so I can get out of this RnR bull crap.

Someone also suggested that I should talk to a school counselor so that they are aware of the girls, RnR Real Estate, and the whole situation. I suppose it won't hurt to tell them will it?

Sarah
Hi Sarah,

Here is the deal, if the landlord seeks to break the lease with you she is required to give a thirty day notice, unless she is evicting you for non payment of rent, then a summary proceding (Called a UD or unlawful detainer) would be all she has to due. If she was to file a thirty day notice and attempt to break the lease with you, for something OTHER than non payment and you agree she owes you nothing. You would be entitled to damages (money back) against her if she can't prove to a judge that you have violated another part of the lease, (like having a dog, when lease says no pets), but usually the judges will not go along with unless it raises to the level of eviction. (something pretty serious). Now those are the only two ways for her to break the lease. If you want to break the lease she will probably ask for some small amount since there are only two months left. Call the landlord up and ask what it would cost you to break the lease with two months left. If it is not cost effective, pay your porition and end lease. Don't forget to sent her a 30, yes you mail her a thirty day notice to quit so that if you are getting something back on the deposit, you have to by most leases I have ever seen. Normally it will go to a month to month, but some places want you to sign another lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">