• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rescind resignation or be laid off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jleblanc

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

Recently at work I tended my resignaton with two weeks notice b/c of various reasons that would make my boss look bad to his Board of Directors. After my resignation I was called in by management and asked to rescind my resignation and my leaving would be classified as a layoff with severance pay. What are the legal ramifications of this offer?

JETX

jleblanc said:
Recently at work I tended my resignaton with two weeks notice b/c of various reasons that would make my boss look bad to his Board of Directors. After my resignation I was called in by management and asked to rescind my resignation and my leaving would be classified as a layoff with severance pay. What are the legal ramifications of this offer?
Resignation: Likely not eligible for unemployment, no severance pay.
Layoff: Likely eligible for unemployment, offered severance pay.

jleblanc

Let me rephrase

What I mean is can they legally offer to lay you off? Aren't there certain requirements that have to be met for a layoff? They had no performance issues and I have proof that before I offered my resignation they weren't even thinking about laying me off. This was offered as a "bribe" so to speak. Aren't there laws governing this.

JETX

jleblanc said:
What I mean is can they legally offer to lay you off?
Yes.

Aren't there certain requirements that have to be met for a layoff?
Unless the layoffs were a large number, sufficient for 'WARN' (Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification), no.

They had no performance issues and I have proof that before I offered my resignation they weren't even thinking about laying me off. This was offered as a "bribe" so to speak. Aren't there laws governing this.
Nope.

Last edited:

Beth3

I don't see any downside to you in accepting their offer. You can accept their offer of severance pay or not, as you wish.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">