• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disclosure of past history

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trintch9

What is the name of your state? my state is North Carolina
I have recently been hired by a large coporation contiengent on my background check. there application question . Have you been convicted of a crime or a felony within the past seven years? yes or no. My answer was no. I have been convicted of a felony 12 years ago. my question is can the company fire me for my felony charges?.

Beth3

If the application form only asked about any convictions within the last seven years, then they can't fire you for lying on the application form but that's a somewhat different matter. Unless SC's laws prohibit an employer from considering convictions older than seven years in making employment decisions (which is possible but on the whole unlikely), then yes, they can fire you for your past felony conviction if they conclude it makes you an undesirable employee.

Uneless another responder happens by who can give you a conclusive answer on SC reg's, then you may want to call SC's Department of Labor and inquire.

RnsWiffScissors

I would think it would depend on what kind of job and what kind of felony if you're asking whether you could have the offer rescinded, but I would think that the question would have been more specific if that were the case.

I don't see how you were dishonest if the question specified 7 years, but I can tell you that I wouldn't hire you in a bank if you'd embezzled 15 years ago and I wouldn't hire you to be around children if you'd been convicted of abuse 100 years ago.

If the felony was unrelated to the job you're seeking, you're probably OK...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">